FORE!

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Don Castavez, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

He is clearly the best golfer in the world right now but he just doesn't generate the charisma and excitement of a Tiger Woods or a Nicholas and Palmer.

Golf needs a colorful (no pun intended) character to reel in the casual fans.

2. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Yea, he could use a charisma shot. But like you said, he's one of the best inside the ropes. And he tells it like he thinks it is to the media. I don't have a problem with it but like you say the casual golf fan might be turned off.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Too bad John Daly didn't win a bunch of majors. There would have been lots of fans who loved him and lots of fans who hated him.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I saw where David Toms played in the Barbsol Open this weekend. Doesn't a major winner get lifetime exemptions to all the majors?

5. COTiger

I think I stated in another thread that I wasn't a fan of Day. When I was working tournaments for CBS I learned that a lot of members of the CBS crew weren't fans either. The Daly you encountered outside the ropes was 180 degrees opposite from what you saw inside the ropes.

6. COTiger

I think only the Masters grants a lifetime exemption. I saw that the Open grants an exemption until you reach 60.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Toms is 52.

8. COTiger

He received a 5 year exemption for winning the PGA Championship. He played the Tournament this week because the Seniors Tour had the week off.

Bengal B likes this.
  9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

OK, I thought if you won a major you got a lifetime exemption for all the majors.

10. COTiger

The perks of winning a major championship
    • Prestige, obviously -- you're in a limited company of players to ever win a major
    • If you win the Masters, you're in the Masters for life, basically, and you're in the U.S. Open, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years
    • If you win the U.S. Open, you're exempt in the U.S. Open for 10 years, and you're in the Masters, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years
    • If you win the British Open, you're in the Open until you're 60, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and PGA Championship for five years
    • If you win the PGA Championship, you're in the PGA Championship for life, basically, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and Open Championship for five years
    • You get a 5-year exemption on the PGA Tour for winning a major, and you can pretty much set your schedule for two years
    • You get a spot in the Tournament of Champions
    • You get 100 Official World Golf Ranking points, which pretty much locks up a spot in the top 50 in the Official World Golf Ranking for 18 months, no matter what
    • You get 600 FedEx Cup points
    • You get big Ryder Cup points if you're an American or European player

TerryP and Bengal B like this.