Football Position Changes

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bhelmLSU, Feb 24, 2010.

1. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

2. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

My point is that we have yet to play a game this year and you're already appointing him one of the best CBs in the SEC. That's beyond homerism; It's just stupid. The only think we known about Claiborne is that he's fast.

3. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

What stupid is your failure to read all of the words in my post. Yes I am excited about that duo, but i did say we MAY, have the two best corners in the SEC. I never said he is one of the best corners in the SEC, I said we may have the best duo in the SEC next season. Dont be stupid yourself, for the sake of arguing when you clearly didnt read what I posted.

Look around the SEC at the corner position and tell me that LSU doesnt have that potential in the secondary.

If you want to argue about something, go rant in a mirror, other than that read what I said.

4. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

Potentially LSU could have one of, if not the best secondary in the SEC. Im not sure who UF loses outside of Haden. With Peterson, LSU has the top CB in the SEC. I think Eugene will be an upgrade from Jones. He is far better, more consistent player. Much better tackler and his cover skills are better. He is less likely to make the bone jarring, highlight hit but Ill take his consistency. Taylor looks great at times, but lost at others, he is a key to how good LSU can be. The biggest factor is Claiborne. Both Hawkins and Eugene were inconsistent last year so I think Claiborne cant do worst. He shows a lot of potential, he just has to learn more technique to go with the speed. You cant rely on just speed. Myself, Im very high on Claiborne. Im expecting big things from the secondary. Again, no matter who you have back there you MUST pressure the QB much better. You cant cover SEC WRs for a long time. The LSU DL must pressure better than last year, if not we must blitz more.

5. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Jai Eugene was good at CB. Using Peterson as a measuring stick would be unfair to 95% of the CBs in the country.

And LSU has a reasonably deep pool of Safeties. So - the fact that:

1. Eugene (fifth year) is not starting in front of Claiborne (second year), and
    2. Eugene is starting at safety in front of some pretty good athletes, which means he's no slouch in the secondary,

tells me that Claiborne is more than just fan hype.

AND - since Jai has played CB for 4 years at LSU (plus some nickel/dime), I think there are a lot of good options if the injury bug bites.

Should be a great year for the secondary.

1 person likes this.
  6. MLUTiger

Okay, I'll add the word "may" and we'll see if that changes what I stated you said:

Nope, it's still retarded. Every team in the SEC can make that claim since the season hasn't even started yet. Potentially on paper and according to fans, all rosters are stocked with Rhodes Scholars who run 4.3/40s. have 42" vertical leaps and bench press Volkswagons.

Again. The point. He's still learning the position. To say that he's going to be, might be, hopefully will be, etc. part of the best of anything is just dumb.

7. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Yes its really dumb for me as LSU fan, to want the secondary to be the best in the SEC. Yep really stupid for me to be hopeful.
    Thanks, for telling me what I should think. Dont know how i got along all the years without you.
    Appreciate it:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  8. TigerCliff

TigerCliff Veteran Member

MasterMind!!

That is what I was thinking. I am looking forward to him telling me what I need to think also. What a help that would be.

How awful of you to have unexplained expectations for this year. What kind of fan are you being hopeful and thinking we could improve.

Facts

What facts are there in dealing with 19 year olds???

:tigereye:cliff

9. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Can't wait to see how Claiborne progresses. He did well in spot duty last year and he worked hard to get playing time as a true freshman. I see the Eugene move as beneficial to both equally. LSU wants to get the best athletes on the field and if it works out both will be. If Claiborne needs a little more time, Eugene can move back to CB and Loston gets more PT at Safety. Either way I think this will be one of the best defensive backfields we have seen at LSU. Brooks will get his time too and nickel and Dime back as well.

10. MLUTiger

Ron Brooks always seems to get left out in these discussions. The guy just keeps plugging along, pushing everyone to get better.