Football Position Changes

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bhelmLSU, Feb 24, 2010.

1. clair

clair Rockets

and Richard Dickson has apparently passed #18 down to Richard Murphy.

2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Other moves and I will update the 1st post:

Pep to DT -- Announced a few weeks ago and I like the move.

Brockers to DT -- Moved from DE last year and is sticking with it.

Logan to DT -- Also moved there last season.

Theriot back to FB -- Gave LB a try last year.

Barksdale to LT -- Necessary move to help protect the QB

Johns to LB -- Moved from Safety

3. tboy

tboy Founding Member

Is there any good source on what these guys weigh now? All of the rosters I see have outdated info.

4. bhelmLSU

Nothing you can really trust. Best source is usually from the players own mouth when interviewed.

5. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

I like Pep to DT. But with Logan and Brockers to DT and Clement to TE that leaves LSU seriously depleted at DE. Agayhere and Edwards are the only ones with any experence. Both showed flashes but neither were consistently good. Montgomery and Mingo both have tremendous speed rush potential but havent played. Mingo will probably still be a bit undersized.

I sure hope Shepard is used in that Harvin like mold, he has the same skill set. We shall see on that one. I like the moved if used like he should be.

I think Eugene will play all over the field. He could be a utility player, playing both CB and S. Depending on formations. I see Peterson and Claiborne at CB with Taylor and Loston at S. With Eugene being a Sr Im sure he will start somewhere though. This could be a breakout year for Brooks. I was very high on him coming out of HS. He too could play CB or S.

6. dudley

dudley oops!

So, this is another reason I'm not a DC but several of the position changes were disappointing to me.

Theriot to FB. He was a pretty good looking player coming out of high school and I thought he would help out an LB but I guess not. I doubt he will ever see the field as a FB.

Brockers to DT. Somebody mentioned he played some DT last year. I didn't see it and I see he is listed as a RS freshman this year so maybe I was right. I was hoping we would add some size on the edge this year to stop teams from running over our small defensive ends like they did over Alem last year. He's 6' 6" and guys that tall are usually not very effective on the inside. Guards can get under them and walk them around like an Arthur Murray dancer, like they did Al Woods last year. Maybe this move also says something about our DT position this year.

Mingo to DE. Too small. I thought he would be perfect for the strongside linebacker spot. Fast, athletic, good in coverage, hard to throw over. Too light for a DE unless he has gained some serious muscle in the last year.

But, then again what the hell do I know!!! :confused:

7. bhelmLSU

Brockers moved to DT half way through the season in practice. From what I have heard he has excelled at DT compared to DE. Our next big DE you desire will be Ego Ferguson however I hear our new JUCO DE, Ken Adams, is already impressing and could see some significant playing time next season.

If Mingo plays next year I suspect it will as a 3rd down rush end on obvious passing downs. He has some serious speed off the edge. But needs bulk to be a consistent contributor.

8. tboy

tboy Founding Member

Many times, but obviously not always, position changes spell the beginning of the end for a player. I think this is especially true when one goes from one side of the ball to the other. RB's and WR's going to DB's and vice versa don't seem to have a high success rate of becoming starters. Les is obviously searching for a decent FB because he is trying everyone and their grandmother at the position as well as recruiting the position.

9. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

so will the team play a hybrid S/LB like coleman? duplessis?

10. bhelmLSU

The leading candidate for that spot this year or next is Eric Reid.