Football and the Confederacy

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by bitter ND, Mar 26, 2007.

1. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

was i drunk when i wrote that?

am i talking to myself?

2. orlandotiger

orlandotiger GEAUX TIGERS!

This is true! I get told that all the time!!!

I don't know if you were drunk but it was hysterical!!!

And yes you were talking to yourself but now I have fixed that for you!!!

3. tigger1

tigger1 Founding Member

Being a simi college football historian;

College football started in the Northeast and slowly (very slowly) moved into the northern states first then down to south into Georgia. In Louisiana in 1893 there were fewer than 5 teams playing high school and college football. Even by 1907 there were not many teams in Louisiana.

Football was a big team sport and not many schools in the south could field teams in the early days, much like the schools in Indiana. As football became very popular in the late teens and early 20's in the North and South bigger high schools were build (like Baton Rouge High) which lead to many more teams.

In a state like Indiana with most High schools still only having 30 members to a class BB was the school sport. College football was king in the North until the late 60's and that is when a fall off of football popularity occurred and basketball became the sport king in the ne and acc. It doesn't not take a genius to figure out why the NE and ACC found bb a better sport to pull for over football;those schools didn't have the talent pool to built a football power house like the north and south had.

BTW the ACC is mostly a southern conference and BB has been king in the conference since the 60's. In the Big 10 its not until the 70's bb became a bigger fan base draw in popularity, but still played second fiddle to the ACC, NE and Pac 10 bb.

The question is why did basketball become the king of the ne, acc and pac 10 over football?

Could it be many states like Maine, Vermont, Penn etc had more small high schools in rural areas that couldn't field a football team? And states like Indiana had the same problems? Or take the ACC name one major football power in that conference before FSU came into the conference?

4. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

And all this time I thought it had to do with northern schools having to build gyms so students could take recess inside during the winter.

silly me.

5. tigger1

tigger1 Founding Member

Hawker45,
    Gyms were around way before Basketball and Football in all the larger schools, some even before the Civil War. As you may know in most European counties school is called Gymnasium.

1 person likes this.
  6. LSUCrackfight

LSUCrackfight Founding Member

Im just not sure. I know that the Berlins used to live in Florida and Rick Berlin was one of his youth pasters along the way. Im not sure if that was in Florida or Louisiana. This site says he was from Florida but he might of lived in Shreveport at some point. Man, you can tell that this is the slow season when this thread reaches six pages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Stapp

7. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

I think we need to arrange a tour of Alcatraz for Newsome, Pelosi, Boxer , H. Clinton , and Obama .

Then when they go in the D Block cell quickly slam the door and throw the key in the bay.

Feinstein i dont agree with but at least respect because she will be reasonable.

Boxer , Newsome , and Pelosi are complete wacko's.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Irish in New Orleans = Yats.

9. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

my mom grew up in "the channel" dawlin.

10. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

The Confederacy never won a National Championship. :usaflagwa