Food Trucks

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by red55, Jun 13, 2012.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

There are 3 food trucks permanantly on my block. One does only chicken kabobs. One is a standard halal cart, and the best is a proper truck with burgers and chicken and cheesesteak and falafel and Kafkta and gyro and everything, and they stay open until 5 am. I get so drunk I have no idea I went there and I find the styrofoam thing from there in my apt the next day. The guy who runs it is named Muhammad and he recently voted in the Egyptian election at the embassy in midtown. He voted for the progressive party that hates Mubarak.

2. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I've never been much into carnivals but wish it were easier to find carnival food. Maybe a food truck should have that theme. I'd take a shrimp on a stick, roasted corn, and funnel cake combo. I've still never had a Turkey Leg because it seems a little difficult to walk around chompin on that thing.

3. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I saw a documentary about food trucks on Netflix, forgot the name, but they had awesome food. One featured truck had barbecue smoked meats, one had real Belgian waffles. But the best one was in Austin, Texas and it had giant gourmet donuts with all kinds of sauces and toppings made to order.

That was interesting

They all seem to specialize in one particular thing. They all went to the same spot too. Most places have a lot somewhere downtown where there's lots of humanity and a bunch of trucks park there to make a food court.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I have friends in Austin that have a food trailer (an old airstream, it looks great) and they sell Louisiana meat pies which have proved to be a hit. They tow it to fairs and festivals and they have a paid lot in Austin where they set up normally and where they are regulated heavily. So heavily they are considering moving to a smaller Texas town.

5. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I have a hometown friend in Austin who owns a food trailer also. I haven't talked to him in a while to see how he is doing, but he loves his trailer.

[​IMG]

6. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

They should throw in some sausage bread. It would go well with what they're preparing. I guess if they're doing well with the meat pies, no need to complicate things. I know you don't like to complicate matters.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Trucks have small kitchens and most have to specialize in a limited menu. They make their most of their money at lunch and they have to be able to move a crowd through quickly.

She develops new pie recipes for local tastes. A Chorizo pie would be a lot like sausage bread, perhaps. The big hits are Natchitoches meat pies, crawfish pies, humble pie (all veggie), and one she made by accident . . . the Bleudin pie, which is a tasty pie with boudin and blue cheese.

She serves gumbo, jambalaya, and RB&B for sides so it is a real Louisiana place among all those taco and barbeque stands.

Kates Southern Comfort on East 6th Street next time you are in Austin.

8. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

I loved me some Coreanos and Chilantros when I was in Austin. Korean-mexican fusion...I still crave it. And the bratwurst too...

9. boblinfoto

boblinfoto Ohio LSU fan/artist

This is the same complaint that educators in public schools have against charter schools. They don't have to play by the same rules we (public schools) do. Charters don't have to comply with the same regulations, inspections(staff audits) and tests as public schools have to. That makes the "playing field" slanted in the charter school's direction, but politicians don't care. They get campaign contributions from the corporations that make millions from charter school funding(taxpayer dollars), so they listen to the money instead of the people who elected them.

10. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Good point !!