Food Trucks

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by red55, Jun 13, 2012.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

They aren't allowed on campus, so I don't eat at them often. But today I had a meeting downtown and I got some pretty good hot wings from a truck on main street. I may seek more of them out.

2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Mandeville doesn't allow them. Pity. I would love to own one.

3. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

You should hit the Food Truck round up on Wednesday nights. Usually 7-10 trucks show up, so you can sample from several or get a meal from one. The round up moves around but it is at Tin Roof or Colandros on government fairly regularly. When it is at Tin Roof you can get free beer from the brewery.

It is at Tin Roof tonight. Free beer!

http://www.brwroundup.com/

4. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Food trucks can be unfair competition for restaurants. Restaurants in New Orleans and the Northshore generate way too much tax revenue and have too much impact on the local economy to allow food trucks to come in. Municipalities won't allow it because there's no need for them...there's way too many restaurants as it is.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Really? It's seriously low-end with no tables available, weather shuts them down, and the menu is limited. I consider it competition for Lucky Dog stands.

6. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

They also serve a market that restaurants don't. They go to construction sites and such where people can't leave for lunch (sorta like selling lunches to offices ;) )

7. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

How is the competition unfair? It seems to me they are able to operate more lean than restaurants, but I don't see how that is unfair, just more efficient. How do they produce less tax monies? I'm not trolling, just asking because I know you can speak to it.

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

In new York they have to get specific permission to park at various places, and I think it requires that local businesses sign off on it. I don't think I have ever had truck food that wasn't great, but I really hate eating while walking or standing.

9. stevescookin

You'd think differently if you owned a restaurant.

They don't have the overhead that restaurants have to have. Like property taxes, workman's comp, impact fees, sewerage and water fees, etc.

They're too hard to regulate. The board of health knows where to find us...they're catch me if you can. Immigration can come to a restaurant at will, they're hard to find.

Because they don't have the overhead, they can afford to sell food at lower prices than restauarants and that's unfair competition because they're mostly unregulated while restaurants are heavily regulated.

The answer is to regulate them at the same level that restaurants are.

10. stevescookin

Before any of you guys cry "Free enterprise" think again. There is no tooth fairy...there is no Santa Claus....there is no free marketplace.

Well there is for restaurants only. Municipalities and the Parish have the mantra "The more the merrier !! Free enterprise !!". but that's BS.

If I want to put restaurant number 98 in downtown Mandeville (true stat) I'll have no problem. In fact, I was approached by a Mandeville politico to do exactly that.

But if I want to put a five minute oil change/ muffler shop there the same governing bodies will prevent it. They'll say "We have to many of those already...we don't need one...you need a business license and we'll never give it to you."

That's not free enterprise....that's not fair.