finally a gobbler cooperates

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by jvalhenson, Apr 13, 2021.

1. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

Havent been able to go much with all the kids stuff going on but made 4 morning hunts over spring break and finally got one to play ball on the 4th morning. Had multiple birds gobbling each day and well into the day so stayed busy but kept getting messed up. Couple were henned up bad. One was across a big deep slough and wouldnt cross. One had another guy walk in on and spook it off. 2 others had a dog come in on one and a coyote on the other ran the off. And one just straight up blew it thought he was another ridge over and when I topped the ridge I wanted to set up on he was standing there looking at me and off he went. So anyways after lots of close calls finally got this one to cooperate midday on the 4th day. Prob be it for the year for me I doubt I get to make another hunt with only a couple weekends left and kid stuff going on both of those. Not a bad bird though 3 year old I would guess. 19lbs, 9.75" beard and 7/8' spurs.

Attached Files:

shane0911 likes this.
  2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

When's dinner?

3. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Dude, 19 pounds is a big bird.

Also, I want that gun! That is the gun I have always wanted and never could get.

4. jvalhenson

got it for christmas when I was 16. actually have a few of them now but that was the first one and one I use most of the time. they are pretty available most of the time but still fetch a pretty high price for an old shotgun. The others I have are actually older than that one. They are prerail rail and have the round knob while this one obviously has the rail and square knob.

5. KyleK

It's a sweet gun. I know you don't want to sell it, but if you ever do, hit me up.

6. jvalhenson

Nah that one goes to my oldest boy ha. Those guns are generational if you take care of em. Had some guys hounding me for it in the club I was in a few years ago. They wanted it bad. Offered $2000 for it. Which I couldn’t figure why you can get em for 600-800 any day of the week in normal times but they really wanted this one. Which it is a little different than most with the color and rail. Most are darker without rail but as tempting as it was no way it’s for sale unless it’s just stupid money. To many years and miles with that one slung across my shoulder.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    shane0911 and KyleK like this.
  7. jvalhenson

Dern. Curiosity got me just looked online and those old brownings going for over $2000 now. Last time I had looked at prices they were $800 tops. Nuts.

8. KyleK

Lol. I've looked at enough of em to know what they are worth.

I'm sure your boy will treasure it same as you.

9. jvalhenson

Could have knocked me over with a feather when I saw the prices. I have 4 of them right now but they all have more meaning than money. 3 of them belonged to family who are gone now and the one pictured as said is my main do it all shotgun. Somehow didn’t see the prices going up like that in the last 10 years or so.

shane0911 likes this.
  10. KyleK

I remember the first time I ever shot one. At the time, I had a Winchester pump that kicked like a mule. That Browning was the smoothest shotgun I had ever shot. It's a classic. Crazy that they made that gun for almost 100 years.