Few more red bellies

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by jvalhenson, Mar 19, 2016.

1. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

they still not quit bedding yet but gettin close. Caught a few crickets in the yard and went to the pond between tball games and got 2 dozen good ones. [​IMG]
    These aren't quit as big on average as I've been getting but still nice. I don't have small paws so they pretty decent.
    [​IMG]

KyleK and Bengal B like this.
  2. jvalhenson

Had about a dozen crickets left over so after the Easter egg hunt ran back down to the pond in the gailing wind and got 8 more big ones to add to the pile.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  3. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

damn dude.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

How do you catch so many crickets in your yard? I've tried before and they are few and far between. After catching 2 or 3 I gave up and went and bought some.

The few in my yard are black. The ones you buy are brown and raised at a cricket farm in Fluker, LA.

5. jvalhenson

I catch them at night. Turn on shed lights and they are jumping everywhere around it within an hour. Gotta remember my yard just goes straight to big pasture so it's full of crickets and other crawly critters. And yea the wild ones are big fat black crickets while the bait shop ones are skinny brown ones. We catch fish I'd guess 3 or 4 to one on wild vs store bought crickets. Last year I had a big piece of cardboard that laid in the yard for a few days and when I went to throw it away there was prob 100 under it. So I caught those and left it there all summer just caught em under it any time I needed some. No cardboard this year so just doing the shed light truck again. Won't get quit as many but it's pretty easy to pic up 3-5 dozen in under an hour or so

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

7. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I have some corrugated cardboard I'll bring you when we hit those white trout. We have 3 pallets of 3' x 3' corrugated cardboard boxes left over for flood cleanup. Let me know how many you want.

8. jvalhenson

actually kinda funny this came up when it did. The wife got 2 new car seats over the weekend since the 2 older kids have outgrown theirs and they both came in big heavy cardboard boxes so I am keeping those to set out behind the shed and gather em up.

9. jvalhenson

got curious about the 2 different crickets and why we catch so many more fish on the black ones i catch in the yard vs the brown ones from the bait shop. Never really thought about it just called em wild crickets and bait shop crickets. Anyways the google says the black ones are native common field crickets which is kinda obvious I guess since thats where they live and the brown ones are house crickets that are native to asia but were bred and brought here as feeders for reptiles and bait. I imagine the being native and being around all the time so the fish are used to seeing and eating them is what makes them better bait.

10. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

When they bedded up it don't matter. You can put a rabbit turd on a hook.