Few assorted trout and those elusive snapper

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by jvalhenson, Aug 20, 2016.

1. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

Haven't fished in a couple weeks with the weather of course and the usual kid stuff plus spending a little time hauling supplies over to a church in the flood area. But got on the water yesterday for a few hours. While catching bait ran into a few decent specks and small handful of white trout. Then off to the snapper and as usual took about 30 minutes max to get our 6. Another time limited trip so no waiting out the bigger ones just kept the first 6 which all were about identical 21-22 inches. State Snapper season wrapping up Labor Day weekend so that's about over but I'm pumped to get some cooler weather get dove season going and fall fishing in full swing. Freezer nowhere near what it needs to be to make it through winter so gonna have to get on the trout pretty hard through October to catch up.[​IMG]

2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Use some of that teaching salary and buy some meat a wal mart. It won't kill you, I promise.

Oh and those reds are small. They need to put more restrictions no the snapper season so they can grow.

3. jvalhenson

Nah every dead red snapper is a benefit to the ecosystem. Way over populated and each dead one saves dozens of lane, vermillion, and mangrove snapper plus countless triggerfish etc. need a new movement......OSLM(other snapper lives matter)

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

hwg that white trash mf just can't help himself.

LSUTiga and shane0911 like this.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The size limit for specs in Louisiana is 12 inches but I wonder how many smaller ones die when you take them off the hook. I think the percentage is pretty high.

6. jvalhenson

Our trout limits has been 13 inches 15 per person for years but they are about the change it to 14 inches 10 per person at the next cmr meeting in sept. Have heard LA was considering lowering the limit from 25 to 15 but I think that's more just talk than will actually happen.

7. LSUTiga

That is a dam good one.

Louisiana gets all kind of special shit. Like alligator snapping turtles. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to take them in many States, if not all other States. There was some exemption for us because it was "part of our culture" or heritage or something like that.

I think it was up for review this past summer to see if it would be changed but haven't heard anything. I would be okay with it because I catch plenty of the common snappers and only harvest one Alligator snapping turtle a year. It's more for trophy hunting than anything. I let the small ones go so someone can catch a big one 10+ years from now and have a story to tell.

People think they're rare but there are a lot more than they realize. They just don't sun themselves and you seldom see them if they're not in a net. Once you know how to find them you can see a lot.

8. jvalhenson

We can catch alligator snappers in MS but only 1/year 24 inches or bigger. Commons get 1 per day Except closed in April may and June.

9. LSUTiga

No season here and we can have one alligator snapper per day, per boat. I wouldn't mind seeing a "one per year." They could give us a tag.