Favorite Steak?

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by TigerBait3, Dec 14, 2007.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I had a girlfriend once who was mad about marinades, she had a dozen of them. She insisted that you never marinate meat more than an hour or you risk making it tougher. It may have to do with ingredients (she liked vinegary marinades) but I think she is right. I never marinade anything overnight anymore and it tastes fine to me.

2. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

The salt dries them out. I dont know how people eat beef that had Dales on it for 24+ hours.

I had a bone-in ribeye lst night with nothing on it....still awesome.

3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Why, thank you for that. Your dingo has been kicking my butt.

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

absolutely the best way is minus any marinade if its a good cut of meat.

marinades ruin a good steak for me.

5. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Doe anyone remember Del Lago on Corporate Blvd? It was were Ninfa's is now. I worked there in the 80's. Waiters wore full tuxes. Nice restaurant. Anyway, on my first night I took an order for a steak, medium/medium rare. I called it out like that to the meat chef Frank. Frank looks at me w/ this incredulous and indignant look and says "which one, medium or medium rare?" That's when I learned there was no in between.

I think that's why I remember the guy's name!

6. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

It is not moisture that makes streak juicy or flavorful. The best steaks are aged and dried. Juiciness and flavor comes from the breakdown of proteins and fat. You want your steaks as dry as possible before cooking. That is why dry rubs are best because water basically steams the meat instead of grilling it.

7. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

True.

The salt drying and meat aged/dried are two different uses of the word "dry." Table salt naturally draws out the flavor from the fat which is what makes it tough.

8. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

this is very true.

i generally order steaks wherever i go, i love steak. best steak i've ever eaten was in this restaurant in minneapolis before my transplant. i don't remember the name of the restaurant, unfortunately, but it was the best $45 dollar steak that i've ever had. awesome price for just how good it was. it was a broiled tenderloin seared with sizzling butter... man this thing was sooo flavorful and melt-in-your-mouth good that i'm not sure i ever want to eat a steak again as anything else would be an injustice.

as for local steaks, i wouldn't go much further than the petroleum club in morgan city. i used to work there, and let me just say that they have the best prime rib that i've ever tasted. to be fair, i haven't eaten much prime rib.

their filets that are broiled and infused with butter are pretty damn good too. the filets are aged and marbled perfectly. the head chef cuts them himself and they're never frozen. i like getting mine a bit blackened and infused with butter.... OH MY GOD! it's possibly the most beautiful thing ever. :grin:

9. lsubatgirl04

lsubatgirl04 Cupcake Thief

One of the best I've had is at a friends house- ribeye on an infared grill with a sauce that I have yet to figure out the ingredients. Everyone here eats their steak rare but I am more of a medium person. Hubby orders steaks just about everywhere we go and wants the juices to run to "turn his potato red." No thanks. Pink is just fine.

10. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I have a regular customer who orders his eggs over medium/medium well every single time he eats at the cafe...every single time, he gets them served to him however I end up cooking them. To his credit, he keeps coming back and has never sent them back.

I still have no idea what medium/medium well really means because eggs keep on cooking from their own heat on the plate. Their texture to some degree depends on how quick they get from the kitchen to the table as well as how quickly he eats them.

I guess at some time in the cooking /serving /eating process they actually pass through a medium/medium well stage.

Perception is often more important than reality !