Favorite Steak?

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by TigerBait3, Dec 14, 2007.

1. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

I took a cooking class once and we filleted a tenderloin into steaks. Sliced them about one inch thick, rubbed them with some mustard and cracked black pepper, and then broiled them on very high heat for about 5-7 minutes a side. They came out excellent.

Just last weekend we had our work Christmas party and one of the food tables was a carving station. The guy was slicing some kind of beef that I assumed was a roast. I grabbed a couple pieces and put them on a roll with some horseradish and mustard. When I got back to the table, and stared eating, I discovered that that roast was awesome. Tender, flavorful, better than any roast I’d ever had. I commented on it and some at the table informed me that it was actually tenderloin. Apparently they took the entire tenderloin, grilled it, and then sliced like a roast. I was pissed that I had put all those condiments on it…so I went back for more.

2. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Hey, quit hatin' on the 'burbs! Families need a place to live, too. There are, of course, very few non-chains, but I think that can also be said of Dallas, in general.

There is a Ralph and Kacoo's in Allen (75 @ McDermott). Our old house was off of McDermott and Custer, so it wasn't far. We're off of Legacy and Independence in Plano, now, but it's still only about 10 minutes away. It's pretty good--very similar to the ones in Louisiana. It's only been open around a year and a half.

A couple of other good non-chains up here are Scotty P's for burgers, Ricardo's (a little Tex-Mex place in a strip center @ McDermott and Alma), and La Hacienda Ranch on Preston (there's one south of Frankford in North Dallas, and one north of Stonebriar in Frisco, as well as Carrollton and Southlake.)

That 12 oz. steak on the website was a definite mis-print!

3. LSUTigerDad

LSUTigerDad 2009 Pick Em Champ

Best piece of meat = 7 Finger Pork Chop at Perry's Steakhouse and Grill in Houston. Takes em 5 days to prepare it.

Favorite steak =

1. Filet
    2. T Bone
    3. Rib Eye

4. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

My favorite is the ribeye grilled medium. I grill a mean one at home. I buy them cut thick. Has to have enough marble for that flavor. Marinate it with black pepper, Tony's, Worcestershire sauce, and some Italian dressing.

When I go out and eat for steaks, Outback is good and their prices are moderate. If I go out somewhere really nice, I like Ruth's Chris. Took the wife Saturday night to French Market Bistro (in Baton Rouge on Highland). Heard the Filet was better than Ruth's Chris, so I ordered it. Not sure if it's better, but it was very good, as well as pricey. Very nice restaurant and a great atmosphere.

1 person likes this.
  5. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

I just picked one post from a Texas poster to make a point. All these folk are need to get away from this East and Central Texas bias. The Lowake Steakhouse, just outside Paint Rock, is a place everyone should make a trip to. Just like tubing in the Frio River, it is just something you gotta do if you live in Texas.

6. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Last night I grilled some beeeuitiful NY strips. I mixed some blue cheese and Gorgonzola cheese and slightly warmed on the side of the grill. Made a paste/ spread out of the cheese. Flame charred rare, hit em with the cheese, charred some more and let em sit till they were about med rare. Instant hit and a new favorite. Damn fine steak.

7. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Sounds really good, I would have to go with a bone-in cowboy ribeye. I know it has the most fat content of any steak, but that is what makes it so good. Medium to Medium well, with a big scoop of cajun butter on top of it.
    Second place would be the filet, cooked medium.

1 person likes this.
  8. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Cali! You've finally described something I would eat!

9. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

my wife's uncle marinates filets in 1 cup of soy sauce mixed with a half cup of sugar. Marinates them for an hour, no more no less, and gets the pit as hot as it can go (infrared pit), and cooks the steaks for five minutes each side. It comes out as medium/medium rare and is absolutely fantastic. I recommend everyone try that marinade.

10. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

To celebrate this phenomenon I plan to spare your brute for the day!