favorite ethnic foods

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by OkieTigerTK, Aug 1, 2007.

1. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

so, out of curiousity, what is everyone's favorite food? mexican, tex-mex, greek, indian..... and what dishes?

i don't know if i could decide. in the summer, i love middle eastern foods in particular. i could live on tabouli or hummus with grilled flat bread. but in the winter its hard to beat the nice spicey flavors of indian or mexican. some of the best vegetarian foods are indian. and i like true mexican food much more than tex-mex. give me a plate of cochinita pibil and i am happy!

2. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

for me

Mexican then Italian then Greek

3. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I will eat anything and everything Mexican and Italian but some of my favorite ethnic dishes are Stuffed Grape Leaves and Escargot.

4. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

American.......... bar-b-que. :wink:

5. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Agree on the Mexican food. Tex-mex? I'll pass. Carnitas is my favorite with chicken tacos or Huchinango.

After that, it's Italian. Anything really. Is there bad Italian food? And I mean that only in terms of cooking and preparation.

Chinese and Filipino are also faves. I like mushu pork, szechuan/kung pao chicken, pork fried rice, and anything stir fry. Lumpia, adobo, and poncit are really good too. Stay away from the balut.

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Thai. I love authentic Thai fried rice and any meat dish prepared Thai style. Caution: Don't eat the red chiles.

7. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

I think ethnic foods are generally my favorite, except for soul food.

1. Mexican -- authentic or Tex-Mex -- I simply can't get enough of it.

2. Greek -- I would eat this everyday if I could figure out how to cook it (and had the time to.) Gyro, mousaka, tabouli, gallons of hummus

3. Italian -- agree with the above, that there really isn't bad Italian food. I like Northern Italian and Sicilian about the same. When making it at home, if I don't want to make my own sauce, Vodka sauce in the jar is absolutely the best.

4. Afghanistani -- only had it once, but was very impressed

5. Japanese -- I'm really particular on sushi, but love it occassionally. I like almost all sashimi, and teamed with a few Asahi Super Dry's, it's tough to beat.

6. French -- This should be higher on the list, but I don't eat it very frequently. Escargot is probably in the top 12 or so of my favorite foods.

7. Argentinian -- This probably isn't ethnic food, but they have the best steaks on the planet (excluding Kobe beef, as I haven't had one yet.) The cuts of meat from Argentina are different from our standard cuts and are generally perfect. Just make sure it's an authentic place, otherwise, they'll use the same old butcher cuts, and you won't see a difference.

8. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Same here.

For some reason I dont really like other foods.

1. Mexican - I like tacos and nachos...basically American style.

2. Chinese - don't like it.

3. Italian - pizza, pasta...still kind of American.

4. Greek and the rest...scary.

9. LSUgirlinTx

LSUgirlinTx Is it game time yet?

Vietnamese- pho, bun, you name it. Vietnamese egg rolls are the best

Thai-coconut curry, pad thai (Had some last night!)

Greek/Lebanese- anything. Broiled chicken from the greek place (Albasha?) in the shopping center by Barns and Noble...soo good

Etheopian-so good

South American foods are great

10. lsubatgirl04

lsubatgirl04 Cupcake Thief

Mexican (Tex-Mex) is by far my fav. I make it alot at home too.
    Chinese- I am a fan of egg drop soup
    Italian- I love pastas and breads
    Greek- None here but I love humus and Greek salads
    Japanese- I spent a month and a half in Japan. Had to learn to like sushi. I also love yaki niku and miso soup.