Fanfare

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BB, Oct 24, 2004.

1. BB

BB Founding Member

I would like to address something that I found to be very disheartening on Saturday night. The mood and the attitude of many of the fans in and around Tiger Stadium Saturday evening absolutely sucked. I am not directing this at everyone because I know good and well that many loyal and intelligent Tiger fans from all over the world frequent this forum. What I witnessed during the Troy game was deplorable – and I’m not referring to the play on the field.

There is a seemingly growing number of LSU “fans” who are turning into some of the worst fans in all of college football. Firstly, by the middle of the third quarter Tiger Stadium looked like Vaught-Hemingway Stadium (lots of empty seats) and the mood resembled Oxford, Mississippi. Honestly, it was despicable and embarrassing to listen to many of the comments. Some of you (some of us) have suddenly become the most spoiled fans in America – we looked and sounded like a bunch of rich kids waiting around for shrimp and free booze. Some of you (some of us) have turned into whiny little pussies.

The whining, the bitching, the booing, the moaning, and the general lack of class was really discouraging. I sat in the South end zone far, far away from the student section surrounded by families, long time season ticket holders, grandparents, and lifelong fans of LSU. These are a few of the comments I heard BEFORE HALFTIME – these lovely comments continued non stop and it wasn’t just a few drunk people, it was everywhere:

“Hey Saban, go to the NFL you ****ing loser. Follow your buddy Spurrier.” :dis:

“Jimbo, you ****ing pussy – fire his ass.” :dis:

“Randall, you good for nothing (racial slur).” :dis:

“The money is only on the table for so long, Saban.” :dis: (Several versions of this)

At one point, no kidding, the entire section behind me delighted in chanting “U-A-B” :dis:

How could any true Tiger fan or intelligent football mind ever even suggest that Saban is not a great coach or that he is not guiding this program in the right direction? How dare you. This man has put this program back on the map and erased decades of underachievement and absolute embarrassment. Nick Saban is responsible for that feeling you had on January 4, 2004 that will only be equaled on your wedding day or the day your first child is born.

WTF is going on here? In my mind, Oklahoma is the best football program in America right now. Stoops has established himself and they are on course for years of greatness, but the groundwork has been laid. Miami has been a contender year in and year out for 25 years. Bobby Bowden has been at Florida State since 1831. Michigan and Texas have recruited their tails off, but that dream season has eluded them in the BCS era. Think about how many programs have fallen off the face of the earth and then maybe we will have a better outlook on things. Maybe then a victory will mean more – particularly when it was earned through senior leadership of a couple of seniors and the blood, sweat, and guts of a handful of FRESHMAN. Maybe then we will have a better appreciation for a team with 2 road losses to two Top 10 teams with a total of one loss between them. Maybe then we can be positive about the remainder of the season and get excited about the next few years and the overflow of talent we will have running onto that field on Saturday nights.

Please, let's lighten up, get some perspective, and support this team. We are winning football games...

2. Tyger_Bait

Tyger_Bait Founding Member

I was at the game and sat in the Student Section. The student section was the loudest group of fans in the stadium (usually are) and they weren't nearly as loud as should be. But we at least had a reason to not be "excited" about the 24-20 win over Troy. Our Tigers played like Kitty Cats, they weren't in the game. The defense played a maginificent game but the offense couldn't get it going against the Troy defense :dis: .

If LSU doesn't get their offense going by the time we play Bama, then we will get beat.

3. Carface

Carface What the...?

Well, me and my friend are always screaming at every play from the student section when our defense is on the field no matter how badly we're losing.

4. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

your post had nothing to do with what BB posted. :dis:

5. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

good post BB. I don't know if it's bandwagoners or what? not sure. I think it's deplorable though. the boo birds are out, like you say spoiled children that are in the process of ruining something special that no other place in college football has...... Tiger atmosphere, you can't get it anywhere else. When you open up the dictionary to tailgating and great tradition in college football, you see a picture of tiger stadium.

Way back even before Cholly Mac days.

it's not tangible, It's that feeling you get when the tigers run out on the field and the tiger band is playing "hold that tiger" and Jim hawthorne is on the radio.

it's laying in bed every saturday when LSU played at night ALWAYS and listening to WWL Am radio out of NO and Jim hawthorne the voice of the tigers and STILL feeling like you're right there in Tiger stadium.

No other college football program in the US has that. Oh they all say they do but they don't. only one I know comes even close is Bama they had it back in the Bear Bryant days and you could feel it. ( years past )

We have it, but we can lose it. It's not about National championships, it's about a gut feeling you get when the tigers play. Lord knows Cholly Mac deserved a National Championship as bad as any coach that ever coached. In my mind he contributed just as much as Saban or Paul D. He kept that intangible Tiger thing going on, the thing MANY other schools WISH they had. It died for a while under Gerry Dinardo, but it's back. with a vengence

The problem is the fans, they have become fickle. Like they'd just as soon go to a ping pong or bowling match if LSU is winning a NC every year.

support the tigers folks, we have one of the most desirable College football venues in the country. Enjoy it, it can go back to medicrocy quickly.

6. Tyger_Bait

Tyger_Bait Founding Member

I said that we didn't have much of a reason to be exciting about this game. That our tigers played like crap, so the fans cheered like crap.

7. Those were deplorable comments. That kind crap aggravates me to no end, to hell with the boobirds. Those kinda drunks... I mean fans are impatient, small-minded and an embarrasment.

8. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

BB you hit the nail on the head..

While I understand people get frustrated at times, there's no reason to yell insults, boo, or any of that other crap... It really saddened me to see this type of behavior. I was there (as like everygame) till the very end, cheering and shouting my head off at the top of WU26 and losing my voice for a few days... I wouldn't have it any other way, as it's the only way I know how to behave at the games....

I walk in the stadium when the band goes in, and I leave and accompany them back up N. Stadium drive.... That's the way I do it every time...

People were leaving early, shouting all kinds of classless things... Hell, you'd think Curly Hallman was back the way some of these folks were acting.

On another totally different note... Sometimes I have a few extra seats to sell before the games. I don't scalp the tickets for profit, I sell them for what I paid for them... Face value... It really disgusted me the number of cheap @ss people that don't wanna pay but 10 bucks a seat for tickets.... What's up with that? I can pay face value on the tickets but other folks feel they're too good for that??? Way to support the team... they should be proud of themselves... geez.

Ok... I've vented. To each their own I guess....

9. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

... and you post like crap! :wink: :thumb:

10. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

I'd gladly pay 10% or more for extra tickets to ANY game if I'm planning a trip to BR. I try to make two games a year. ANYTIME you have tickets, check with me. WE LOVE Tiger Stadium! and LSU! :geaux: