Excessive celebration!?! Are you kidding me

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by southerntgr, Oct 8, 2011.

1. southerntgr

southerntgr Veteran Member

Putting your hands out is excessive celebration now. So are we suppose to go into the endzone with a frown on our face and just walk to the sidelines.:wave: Great job Wing! You earned and deserved that td.

2. GizmoPicou

GizmoPicou Founding Member

He!! yeah! That penalty is bs. The coaches would not have ruled against that call.

3. GizmoPicou

Oh yeah... and I broke my phone on that play. Anybody got a phone I can have? Verizon said no!

4. southerntgr

southerntgr Veteran Member

Unfortunately, I have At&t. sorry. My phone is always broke and I don't even have to throw it down.

5. kluke

kluke Founding Member

I think it was a good call based on the rule.

BUT, the people that crafted the rule are idiots. If this is what they wanted they know nothing about college football. I hope today's call is used as an example of why the rule needs drastic change.

6. GizmoPicou

Amen. Kids get excited. There is no reason to penalize these emotions. Of course... I can see for, some, of the "excessive" celebrations.

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

No, the penalty was for taunting BEFORE he crossed the goal line. It had nothing to do with celebrating.

They came up with this new rule this season and are going to enforce it.

Wing did wave his arms looking back at the 2 Florida defenders behind him at about the 5 yard line (gave a look of "now what?").

The question is was it egregious (that's how the rule describes the taunting)? Spencer Tillman said NO.

1 person likes this.
  8. Eq4bits

Eq4bits (Deep East) Texas Tiger

Yet the horsecollar and slashing of the throat gesture by Florida defense goes uncalled.
    As the rule is written it's not just players on the field.. and the COACHES are the ones that *wanted* this rule... =S

"No player, substitute, coach or other person subject to the rules shall use abusive, threatening or obscene language or gestures, or engage in such acts that provoke ill will or are demeaning to an opponent, to game officials or to the image of the game, including but not limited to:

• (a) Pointing the finger(s), hand(s), arm(s) or ball at an opponent, or imitating the slashing of the throat.
    • (b) Taunting, baiting or ridiculing an opponent verbally.
    • (c) Inciting an opponent or spectators in any other way, such as simulating the firing of a weapon or placing a hand by the ear to request recognition.
    • (d) Any delayed, excessive, prolonged or choreographed act by which a player (or players) attempts to focus attention upon himself (or themselves).
    • (e) An unopposed ball carrier obviously altering stride as he approaches the opponent’s goal line or diving into the end zone.
    • (f) Removal of a player’s helmet before he is in the team area (Exceptions: Team, media or injury timeouts; equipment adjustment; through play; between periods; and during a measurement for a first down).
    • (g) Punching one’s own chest or crossing one’s arms in front of the chest while standing over a prone player.
    • (h) Going into the stands to interact with spectators, or bowing at the waist after a good play."

9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Yes they missed the penalty on Florida no doubt.

10. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

That call was bullcrap, so I guess the rule is bullcrap. Awesome play and run by Wing.