ESPN: Saints d had "bounty" programs

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by mctiger, Mar 2, 2012.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Been hearing since Favre got bushwacked in the championship game that Saints players were out for blood. Now, apparently the league believes it.

New Orleans Saints defense had 'bounty' program, NFL says - ESPN

ESPN is having a fit, saying there are 50,000 pages worth of documentations, and that the league is threatening "severe" penalties, "unlike anything we've ever seen." Point of reference: for Spygate, the Patriots were fined a quarter of a million and lost their first round pick the following year, and Bellichik was fined a half million.

2. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

crazy that it went all the way to the top and that Benson, Loomis and Payton all knew about it

the Univ of Miami had a similar bounty ring that rewarded Hurricane players for injuring members of the opposing team -- back in the 80's and again in the 00's

3. Mezmorizor

Mezmorizor Founding Member

How could something like this possibly leave that big of paper trail?

4. mctiger

That's the part that blows my mind. Who's documenting this stuff? Maybe its transcripts of testimony, but 50,000 pages?

Kurt Warner just spoke on an Arizona radio station about this. (remember Bobby McCray destroyed him on a legal hit in the '09 playoff game) He said he's not surprised; he's convinced many teams have been doing this for a long time. And acknowledged, while the McCray hit was "violent", it was not dirty.

5. mctiger

Mike Wilbon: This has been the culture of the NFL for a long, long time, but that's not how Roger Goodell is going to see it.

6. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

ugh! First the Vicodin stuff right after the SB win, and now this, which dates back to our Super Bowl season of 2009. First, losing to the 49ers in excruciating fashion and now this. It's like, the Saints finally win a championship and something just had to come out to put a tarnish on the legacy(a least for Saint haters). For the first time since before the 2009 season, I am reliving the horrors of being a Saints fan. This could get ugly....really ugly. Seriously, it makes me sick.

7. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

And players on other teams have been calling the Saints defense "dirty" for several years...

8. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

I'd personally like to see these players and coaches brought up on assault charges.

9. mctiger

Darren Sharper denies that there were ever payments for hurting other players. All payments, according to him, were about performance plays: turnovers, defensive TDs and so on. Says -- and he makes a lot of sense -- that it's ridiculous that players would risk a $10g fine to pick up $500-1000 for taking out someone.

Said all this on NFL Network tonight.

10. PURPLE TIGER

PURPLE TIGER HOPE is not a strategy!

So let me make sure I understand the timing...

1) The Saints beat the Vikings
    2) The Vikings cry, cry, and continue to cry
    3) The NFL finds proof of a bounty but decides to sit back and monitor
    4) The Saints defense fails to make a play in 2010 and 2011
    5) Greg Williams re-locates to St. Louis
    6) The NFL decides February 2012 is the right time to break the story

That's great. We have the SB in New Orleans in 11 months (which we're one of the favorites), the deadline Monday to re-sign players, and the draft in April...so now's the best time to release their findings?

I hope this doesn't lead to more sissy QB rules or ridiculous penalties.