Empty stadium

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Rouxleaux, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Don Castavez

Don Castavez Still liking scotch

Entitled? Over what? We haven't done crap in five years. Fans are spoiled everywhere, not by wins but by the amenities of home. Big screen tv's, internet access, and a comfortable lounge chair are tempting all fans to stay home. Football is well on its way to being a studio sport. Hell, on many campuses attendance of the student body is becoming an issue.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

When I was a kid up through my years at LSU the atmosphere for every game was electric. Now we get that once every two years for the annual close loss to Alabama.
    To park anywhere within the distance of a marathon from the stadium means getting there real early even your not tailgating.

And the concessions. Instead of spending $5 or 6 bucks on a crappy hot dog and a Coke you can spend a lot more for a crappy pizza or whatever gourmet food "upgrade" they have come up with.

How can that compare with watching at home in Hi def with some buddies and the snacks of your choosing?

LSU_4_LIFE, GregLSU and Rouxleaux like this.
  3. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Said no gump ever but that's all they got till Nascar starts up.

LSU_4_LIFE and diamondheadtiger like this.
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

NASCAR is in full swing, already in The Chase. Martin Truex leading for The Cup. Won't be decided til late November at Homestead. About near the end of the football regular season. Who would have thought that gumps could multi task.

5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Well, last week you said we weren't a football school and I should have said it then but; you aren't a football fan. At least not of LSU, if you weren't so damn funny I would have canned your ass long ago.

GregLSU and Rouxleaux like this.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Can you bring the old tiga back to life? He was funnier than this imposter.

shane0911 and GregLSU like this.
  7. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

If the team shows signs of life the fans will return.

8. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

I've had tickets since the '80's and been to almost every home game since '66. My seats are in the old south end zone upper deck. I can tell you most of those sitting in the lower bowl have been there for years and while their wealth varies most are the same who filled Tiger Stadium for years.
    Last night the south end zone was the fullest as usual but had thinned out by the 3rd quarter. The stadium was empty for all intents by the 4th quarter. The students left by halftime. So I disagree that it's the "wine & cheese crowd" that's the cause. That group is in the suites and high priced seats in the new parts of the stadium for the most part. BTW this seems to be a problem of other places as well. As Saban has complained about fans leaving early.
    So why is it happening? I think it's the combination of the causes already cited. Games like Syracuse and Troy were never as well attended even in the 60's. In fact one reason I was able to to go to games then was because every HS football team in the area was given 50 free tickets to games.
    I believe these are the key reasons.
    1) Games weren't televised but once a year or so, so it was the onlyway to see the Tigers. That made it more valuable to attend.
    1a) Choice big games every week on the tube all day & night. Competition for time is greater than ever.
    1b) Length of game. Because of TV games are 4 hours plus. I didn't get home till after midnight.
    2) The stadium only held 68,000 so again the ticket were relatively more valuable.
    3) Tailgating was much less grand. Again television and satellite services make it more attractive to come to the game. There maybe 150,000 tailgaters on the grounds. Many with tickets stay in the tailgate rather than the game.
    4) Traffic! With 150k in a small area getting in and out is a pain in the ass. It adds to an already too long game. They are doing better with traffic control but there is only so much possible.
    5) The wired world. Many at the game are texting, tweeting and looking at their smartphones. Even those of us in the older generation use them during the game.

I don't see entitled fans or the like. It's a combination but mainly the whole society has changed primarily due to the prevalence of choices especially televised games and a wired world where smart phones are ubiquitous and diverting. The world's changed people and we're more like LA with broad choices competing for attention than bum fuck Arkansas or Mississippi.

furduknfish and lsudolemite like this.
  9. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

Might want to find something else to do next Saturday if an empty stadium is bothersome.

10. Don Castavez

Don Castavez Still liking scotch

Ive been season ticket holder for 31 years. I used to go to all games. Now I make one or two a season. Going to a game is a pain. Parking is horrible but what has turned me off the most is how much culture of that stadium has changed. There's no football atmosphere anymore. Its just loud for loud sake. Rap music blaring drowning out the band. Idiots crossing in front of you going to concession stand more than they're watching the game. I heard some jackass last year ask if LSU had any national championships. I've been wondering for a long time how many actual season ticket holders are now sitting in that stadium. My guess is every game now nearly half the tickets were brokered to a son in law, neighbor or someone at the office. Like me people are holding on to their season tickets, but for most of the season you won't catch them dead in there.