Dual QB Attack at LSU?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CajunlostinCali, Apr 5, 2018.

1. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Uhm, no. He's done it a couple of times and even then it was a bit contrived by those covering the Tide. There was the suggestion there was competition going on between AJ McCarron and Philip Sims despite the fact AJ was the backup the preceding year if GMac would have been hurt.

There's a case to be made when it was Jalen Hurts versus Blake Barnett opening against USC in '16. Blake got the start and played two series before Jalen took the position over for the rest of the season.

Now, we're looking at Jalen versus Tua.

Three seasons--and that's a bit of a stretch--out of 11 isn't "all the time." Stating he's done if for multiple weeks? The McCarron vs Sims "battle" led to AJ starting all the games in 2011. There wasn't a multiple QB system/game plan in place. In '16 Blake couldn't move the ball against USC which led to Jalen. He started the rest of the games last season. So, now we're left with the possibility of that happening this season which leaves us with the possibility of one season out of his time in Tuscaloosa.

2. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Thats not accurate. Barnett and Jalen went back for forth for multiple games. He had exactly the same amount of pass attempts in game 1, 2 and 4. Didn't play game 3. To add, majority of his pass attempts where in quarters 1-2. 4 games into a season of 12 games still playing with QB's. Call it what you want. While yes Jalen got the majority of snaps, Saban DID throw Barnett out there in 3 of the 1st four games in the 1st and 2nd quarter. Why? because if you had eyeballs it was clear to everyone Jalen couldn't throw worth a damn. He just had wheels.

He also did it with Coker and Batteman as well.

You wanna get technical? Then at least be accurate if you want to harp on word choice. I outlined it above. Stats are live on CFBstats.com.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    Winston1 and didit like this.
  3. TigerTap

TigerTap Founding Member

Means he's doing something right..

It's an LSU sports message board, not fun on Facebook with your uninvited host, Zuckerberg..

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  4. six pack dan

six pack dan 16 team playoff advocate

After Troy and MSU, Ed took LSU to 6-2 record in SEC play(best since 2012), righted the ship while Canada's offense ranked in the 100s in CFB in red zone offense.

Ed went for a 4th and goal vs Auburn or Canada's red zone offense would be even worse.
    Notre Dame beat us on a fluke pass or we win. 90% of the time the WR couldn't have caught that and scored.

Coach O can coach whether you like it or not.

LSU is a player in the SEC this year...

didit and ParadiseiNC like this.
  5. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Better be a player...

TigerTap likes this.
  6. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

You're changing your story.

That is simply not true. I don't have to refer to a stat site to know so.

Barnett started one game, played two series, and lost the starting job to Jalen. IF you an a link that confirms what I remember.

Again. Not true. As one example, Jalen threw the ball 6X more than Barnett did in the game against WKU. (2nd of the season.) Blake didn't get in the game until midway through the second with Bama holding a 14 point lead. And, Jalen completed just under 65% of his passes that game.

In the fourth game of the season Barnett threw less than 10 passes against Kent State with Jalen having roughly three times that amount. Barnett came in the second quarter with Bama holding a four touchdown lead.

That's not starting, or playing, multiple quarterbacks. It's called a back-up which led to Barnett's transfer.
    Again, wrong. There was only one game Coker didn't start and that was due to an injury.

Games were live--in person and on TV--when I watched these games. But, since you mention the site... hell, it shows where a guy like Bateman had 8X fewer passing attempts in '15.

7. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Here's my issue with this post, Dan. You're right Orge put a 6-2 record on the board after the MSU loss. Four of those wins were against SEC teams who were .500 or less in SEC play. Ole Miss was a .500 team that season, and UF, UArk, and UT had losing records. I don't see that as definitive.

Mike Shula could also coach. It didn't mean he coached well.

I doubted the Miles hire. Yet, he proved his mettle for several years. I doubt the Orge hire. I suspect we've seen meddling, but I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe "LSU is a player in the SEC this season." I've doubts they are a player in the West come October.

It's spring. What do any of us know?

TigerTap and ROY_LA_CA like this.
  8. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I never wrote a story. I wrote a one line zinger you shit in your pants over.

Did you read your article? "Barnett appeared in three of the first four games. "

IF starting two different QB's in two different weeks is not "starting multiple QB for weeks at a time" I do know where you learned English. You sound very grumpy.

Again, I covered this. Go back and read. Barnett threw most of his passes in Quarters 1-2. He threw exactly 2 passes in the 3rd quarter and 2 in the 4th.

Barnett threw 6 in the first game, 6 in the second and 7 in the 4th.

Maybe in your world playing more than 1 QB in the 1st and 2nd quarter isn't "multiple" QB's. That is more than just "one series".....

I don't know what point you are making. I didnt claim Saban had a "2 QB system" for an entire year. The only point you've made is you don't like the words I've used...

It seems your wife hasn't given you any in a while. I'll leave you alone.

9. six pack dan

six pack dan 16 team playoff advocate

And they didn't stumble on any of them after tanking at MSU and Troy. Other teams didn't beat the tar out of them all, except for Alabama. LSU wasn't that far off in the Alabama game either. Plus it was quite a few in a row with no letdown, this group showed they could fight and had heart. Any other coach would get credit for this.

Since 2012 LSU had not won 6 conference games against ANY SEC schedule...

10. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Should O get credit for Florida missing an extra point? Or just credit for escaping the swamp with a W...

TigerTap and stevescookin like this.