Doves

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by Cajun Sensation, Jul 27, 2010.

1. sunnyjim

sunnyjim Founding Member

Pigeons are doves.

2. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

They ain't no eatin' doves!

3. sunnyjim

sunnyjim Founding Member

It's funny. People eat country pigeons but not city pigeons. And they eat tree rats but not barn rats.

4. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Trust me if they were referred to as tree rats, they wouldn't be eaten. Thats why the dolphin fish is referred to as Mahi Mahi. People wouldn't order or eat that fish if they thought they were eating Flipper.

[​IMG]

5. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Hatch, is this you? Pretty nice dolphin. Catching it on a fly rod makes it even better :thumb:

6. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

why not? i'd try it.

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

The homeless live on city pigeons. I wouldn't eat city pigeons or city rats because of what city pigeons and city rats eat...basically anything.

Tree rats eat nuts and berries which enhance the flavor of the meat. Rotting corpses and human feces do not enhance the flavor of city rat meat.

8. Cajun Sensation

I got my 6 year old boy a bb/pellet gun for his birthday back in October. We basically just target practice with it and we'll go romping through the woods shooting at whatever critters we see. I'm teaching him how to hold a gun, how to shoot, gun safety, etc.

Anyways, we went to Bass Pro Shops to get a trail cam with a gift card that he got for Christmas. We want to set it up over this big hole that something dug in the woods to find out what lives in the hole. We covered the hole up with brush to see if anything was actively living in it and the next day all of the brush was removed from the entrance of the hole so we are determined to find out what lives there (I'm thinking armadillo or something....may be a fox den).

ANYWAYS (I have no idea why I went into all of that to say this)....while at BPS, he saw some dove decoys that he wanted to set up. We bought them and I set them up (there are 6 of them) on the edge of my back yard that butts up to kinda swampy woods.

Will the decoys work?

9. Tiger in TX

Tiger in TX Quack

Yes, also try a mojo dove. I would also teach him how to call dove in. I used to sit in the ditch by my house as a kid and call doves to a power line and then pop them with my pellet gun. You can get a cheap 5 in 1 whistle from academy, in the duck call section, that can do a great mourning dove call. When I was a kid I just used my hands to make the sound.

Good Luck! Hope the little fella bags a few birds!

10. Cajun Sensation

Thanks, man.

I'll get one of those 5 in 1 whistles this weekend. I appreciate the advice.

Also, I went home for lunch today and walked out on my deck. Sure enough there was a dove chillin near the decoys. I popped him with the bb gun and feathers went every where.....then the mf'er flew off!!

BTW, what's a mojo dove?