Doves

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by LSUTiga, May 26, 2012.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I remember a thread either Cajun Sensation or Sabanfan posted but couldn't find it. Cooked some this afternoon and thought about it so snapped a picture.

This is how I like them. Brown well then saute' onions, etc. Add a little bit of tomato sauce, water, and a tablespoon of roux.

[​IMG]

Cajun Sensation likes this.
  2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Looks good. You camping?

3. LSUTiga

Nah, just a coonass. lol

Seriously, I cook over a fire pretty often at home.

4. KyleK

Are those hunted doves or backyard pellet gun doves :cool:

ETA: if we get to the apocalypse, I'm bringing me and my family to hang on your coat tails.

5. LSUTiga

They're actually those ring necks. During the winter I threw some cracked corn in my batting cage and they come to eat it. When they get in they try to fly up/out so I catch them with a dip net. The cat catches her one now and then too.

6. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I freaking love it. Pretty sure there's no law against dip netting over a baited field batting cage.

I went dove hinting once in Mississippi and didn't see any doves, didn't fire a shot.
    Then I drove home and could almost run over them in New Orleans with my car !!

By the way, My mouth was watering when I saw that picture of the birds in the pot.

LSUTiga likes this.
  7. KyleK

Love it. I started to add back yard baited/pop the necks, but didn't have you pegged for that much of a coonass!

LSUTiga likes this.
  8. LSUTiga

Lmao

It's a very sweet dark meat. I really find it has somewhat of a sweet taste to it. I find it very close to teal.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I haven't eaten dove in almost 40 years. I had one uncle who was big on dove hunting when I was a kid, but it always seemed like a lot of work for a small bit of food. I don't know anyone who hunts them anymore. My cousin with the bird dogs only cares about quail.

10. LSUTiga

Like peeling crawfish? :D

Around here they're hunted a lot by farmers who hunt. After opening day you are allowed to hunt in the mornings and it's a quick hunt when they come in to a given field to eat. I won't hunt on a morning one. It's dangerous and you get peppered since they fly as soon as you can makeout silhouettes.

I used to enjoy an afternoon hunt when they come in a few at a time. Ideally I liked to pluck one before I shot another but at one point there is usually a peak time that they pour in and it's not possible.