Dog Games?

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by UPTTiger, May 20, 2009.

1. UPTTiger

UPTTiger Founding Member

Anyone here do retriever hunt tests or field trials?

I have a 1yr old chocolate female Roux pup from Gator Point Kennel. She is currently towards the end of her basics training with Eddie Sullivan in Columbia, MS. I should get her back mid-June. I have not done any dog games before, but it is certainly something I want to try. I am fairly certain she could pass a junior level test, but we have a long way to go before any intermediate tests are run. We will spend the summer working for this coming duck season and hope to run a test or two next spring.

2. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

my dog was trained for hunt trials and almost to his jr hunter title but we decided when we retired him from the show ring to retire him from field trials too. but he has such natural instinct that along with his training, he is beautiful to watch work.

if you do work her, take the time at a field trial to do snake training on her so she knows not to mess with snakes in the field.

3. UPTTiger

UPTTiger Founding Member

Will do. I see lots of snake training seminars advertised in other states, but never around here. I dont know if its the best way to do it, but I have heard people taking a dog near a harmless snake then blasting him with an e-collar. Sounds cruel, but if it saves the dogs life its worth it. I might have to get a "harmless" gator too! :D

4. OkieTigerTK

that is how my dog was trained. but hes pretty smart. he was the last one to go and he saw all the other dogs getting shocked. he already associated snake=bad. the trainer had to push his ass up to the snake and make him smell it and then they gave him the mildest shock possible. he was not happy!

it works tho. i had a snake on my patio a couple of years ago and i didnt know it was there. he wouldnt get within 20 feet of it and just stood in the yard barking. when i looked in the direction he was barking i saw the snake slithering in front of the patio door. my dog wouldnt come near the patio with that snake there.

yes, if it saves from being bitten, well worth it.

5. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

What kinda dog do you have, Okie?

6. OkieTigerTK

weimaraner.

my four-legged child....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

my dog has been trained to geaux get the baseball when my son hits it and bring it to me so I can pitch it again.

pretty good at it (when Lil Nootch rounding the bases doesn't distract her).

8. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

That's right. I'm pretty sure I already knew that.

I love weimereiners, btw. Vislas (sp), too.