Do you think WW is working behind the scenes?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CagedTiger, Apr 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perple

Perple Founding Member

Couldn't agree more. Fans no longer know much anything about the players that are on their own home team. They're here for about 6 months total, then onto the NBA.

Just looked up "Chocolate Thunder" Darryl Dawkins, the earliest I can remember going from High School to the NBA. 5th pick in the 1975 draft. Saw him play with Dr. J in Philly Spectrum in 1980. Darryl passed away in 2015.

2. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

binding how, banned from going elsewhere? should academic scholarships also be biding both ways and the student is required to do nothing and the university must pay, and the student cant move, like if their family needs them or they get a good job? why are we trying to restrict everyone?

seems like all humans should be allowed to go to the school they choose. and study or play sports. and transfer if they want. dont need NCAA gestapo taking scholarships from kids like nazis if they want to change schools.

3. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

universities are meant to serve students, not fans

4. Perple

Perple Founding Member

Is your 4 year tuition being paid for by your college? Are you provided free tutors & 3 meals per day & a spending stipend by your university?

5. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

perhaps you could explain your point without asking me about my scholarships. i dont see the relevance, or how it counters what i said. also for the record while i did amazing on standardized tests, i cant hoop and therefore was unable to help earn a billion dollars for the NCAA.

you were speaking in terms of how fans are not being entertained, too many one and dones. my point is the freedom of students to find a school that fits them and their interests and concerns and pay rate is more important. schools are for kids, not fans.

6. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

Yes, banned from playing basketball for pro or semi-pro teams for the years of the contract. Allow them to still transfer via the portal, but their new scholarship would be for the number of years remaining from their original scholarship contract. Give student athletes a $ stipend in addition to above the tuition and room & board. Also allow them to sign NIL contracts to earn extra $. And if they want to quit school and take a job out side of Bball, power to them. I’m sure Micky Dees is always hiring.

Perple likes this.
  7. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

banned by who, INTERPOL? you cant stop a person from getting a job. would you send the secret police to kill them when they start hooping for madrid?

how does this benefit the student athlete to ban them from a profession, which is the whole reason we go to school?

8. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

seems like a pretty damn good outcome for them, making millions after attending university. isnt the whole point of the university to prepare you for a career? i dont see the problem here.

9. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

It’s called a non-compete clause in a contract and a lot of businesses use and enforce them. Perfectly legal. Almost all radio & tv stations have them in the contracts for their on air stars. Also used by a lot of tech companies.

10. Perple

Perple Founding Member

Because you don't know what having school spirit is.

I didn't see anyone saying players couldn't earn a living. Just let them go directly from High School to the NBA or NBA farm league. Leave the college part out, as most are clearly not ready for basic Math or English classes at a college level.

Let's stop pretending they're just ordinary students attending college.

Would be kinda cool to see real, unpaid college students that have athletic ability play for just one season. But it'll never happen.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
    BornOnTheBayou likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.