Do you #standwithahmed?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by StaceyO, Sep 17, 2015.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Nope, looks like a bomb. If you can't say fire in a theater or bomb on an airplane you sure as shit shouldn't be able to bring something that looks like every bomb in every Steven Segal movie to school. Expel his ass.

uscvball and shane0911 like this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Send him to Guantanamo

3. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

I am going to quote star trek

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few

In other words doing the safe thing is always the right choice and if that kid wants to play games let him go back to the muslim country he came from and practice clockmaking there.

shane0911, lsu-i-like and Bengal B like this.
  4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Being here locally, it is beyond nauseating how much people are bending over backwards to avoid "offending" Muslims. The faux outrage is disingenuous, at best. Why are we pandering so much to this particular community?

I live less than a mile from a local mosque, and I do not feel threatened by it. However, this "clock" did look like a bomb. The race of this student is not the issue with the device. People keep saying, "But he's a really smart kid," like that excuses him. I'm pretty sure the 9/11 terrorists were smart, too. They learned to fly commercial jets well enough to fly them into buildings. An evil genius is much more dangerous than an evil dumbass.

Jmg and CalcoTiger like this.
  5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It is not illegal to be unwise in this country. He was a kid!

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

For what? Creativity? It looks like electronic parts. Nothing in it that looks like explosives.

7. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

This only looks like an explosive to those who have no idea what an actual explosive device looks like and, most likely, who watch entirely too much TV. That said, I can understand the concern over the device. Teachers have to be vigilant. My problem comes in when the police show up and put the kid in handcuffs and haul him off to jail. First, if everyone was so damned concerned that this was a bomb then why didn't they evacuate the school? Second, didn't anyone take a look at the device and determine that it was not a bomb before they hauled the kid off to jail? Last, I can excuse a 14 year old for making an error in judgement, regardless of his or her religion. I cannot excuse the behavior of every single adult who allowed this to escalate into what it has become, and that includes his parents who allowed him to take it to school. A 14 year old kid might not get the sensitivities to it but his parents should have.
    Another thing, the vitriol being spewed at the kid online and here at TF is deplorable and immature. I've never seen so many people who talk such a tough game act so damn scared. The ones who like to stomp around talking about the pussification of America are the very ones who jump, run and hide every time a Muslim walks into a grocery store. Don't be mistaken, it is fear that drives these people, not courage.

Winston1 likes this.
  8. LaSalleAve

Which is everyone

Jmg and uscvball like this.
  9. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

I do not know what you mean by this, you'll have to explain

10. LaSalleAve

Again, if you can't say fire in a theater or say bomb on an airplane why should you be allowed to bring a device to school that looks like a bomb to 99 percent of the population?

And now the teachers have to apologize for trying to protect their students?

So you mean to tell me, that this kid is smart enough to make a clock but not smart enough to figure out this ain't gonna go over well at school?

I believe he knew full and well it would cause an uproar and he is seeking his 15 minutes and trying to pull the ole racism card.