Do you #standwithahmed?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by StaceyO, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Why would anybody make a clock for a science project? Haven't clocks been around for a few hundred years. I've seen digital watches in dollar stores for a buck. Would make a cheap timer for a bomb.

2. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I don't have one. It's local news here in North Texas, and I was just watching the news.

As for the question of whether or not it was a school project, it wasn't. He brought it in and showed it to his science teacher who told him to hide it from anyone else. But...it "went off" in his English class.

The teacher who I feel is in the wrong is the science teacher who advised the kid to "hide" the device. Why did he tell him that? It's drilled into us as teachers to report anything suspicious to the school administration.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Is the teacher a Muslim too

4. StaceyO

Kids don't use watches or clocks anymore. They look at their cell phones.

Many of them cannot tell time on a traditional clock.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Adults too. I used to always wear a watch but I haven't in years

6. StaceyO

That I don't know. So far, the identities are being kept secret.

Again, having just gone through a bomb scare at my daughter's high school has me sensitive to this, and my school just had a huge staff meeting this morning about that scare from last Friday because it was in the news a lot and because my daughter's school is in the same district where I teach. That lockdown has sent shock waves through the entire district.

The point was driven home again and again to be vigilant.

7. StaceyO

I'm old school. I feel naked without a watch.

furduknfish likes this.
  8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Everybody needs to take a step back. Of course, teachers need to take possible threats seriously. They reported it. Of course, we don't handcuff and take into custody people who have committed no crime. They were suspicious of the device, it needed to be checked out, so check it out and determine if it is an issue before arresting somebody. This was just poor policing.

The kid needed a wake up that he should be better fucking aware of sensitivities in the modern world. And everyone else needs to remember that modern kids take apart and modify electronics like we took apart and modified bicycles.

If there prove to be explosives, lock his ass up. If not, give him his goddamn clock back and send him home.

9. StaceyO

The cuffing was a bit much, but so is the invitation to the freakin' White House.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

They should examine that kid's computer and all his social media accounts as well as his cell phone to see if he has been communicating wit ISIS

shane0911 likes this.