Do you #standwithahmed?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by StaceyO, Sep 17, 2015.

1. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

So, what do you guys think about the arrest of young Ahmed at Irving McArthur High School the other day for bringing a homemade clock to school?

Looking at the pictures of the "clock," I can see where a teacher might mistake it for a bomb. However, the teacher and the school officials are being made out to be villains.

I'm sensitive to this issue for two reasons: 1) I'm a teacher, and we're trained to not take things like a device that looks like a bomb lightly (because what if it is a weapon?) and 2) My daughter's high school was on lockdown for 2 hours last Friday because of a called-in bomb threat. It was beyond scary for every parent and student at the school. The what ifs that would have turned last Friday's hoax into a Columbine-style tragedy are best not thought of.

What were the teachers supposed to do? Would people be as sympathetic if this kid wasn'ta Muslim? And have we gone too far in trying to appear tolerant to Muslims? (I've taught a few, very few, militant Muslim kids over the years, and it's scary.)

2. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

#StandWStaceyO

I don't have a problem being precautious, and I'd feel the same Muslim or not. My wife said the kid was handcuffed, which seems unnecessary unless he was being defiant.

LSUTiga likes this.
  3. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

It's difficult to make a judgement without context. Was he a nerdy type or was he a militant type? Was the clock part of a school project that was declared or did he bring it in without preamble?
    I do sympathize with the teachers plight because the wrong decision could lead to deaths.
    What puzzles me is what was done between the teacher's concern and the arrest. It seems arrest is extreme for a school kid and the full details should have been learned before he was arrested. It's not the teacher's action that should be looked at but the aftermath.

Tiger in NC likes this.
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

#heisanidiot. The kid knows he is a Muslim and he knows what a clock looks like. To make a clock that looks like a bomb seems deliberate and calculated to provoke a reaction. They need to keep a very close eye on him before he makes a real bomb

Jmg likes this.
  5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I will make a judgment because it backs up what I have said all along. That being they are all or will become terrorist. Fuck this little jihad bastard. Clock my ass. I hope he brings the real deal to the white house and blows obamas useless ass right through the Oval Office window.

A clock, are you kidding me with this shit? What's next a vcr?

6. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Where's your link to the story?

7. shane0911

Dude its all over the news, little jihad johnny brought a "clock" to school and got cuffed and stuffed because, well, who the hell makes clocks anymore? Instead of being put on a watch list he gets an invite to see the jihadist in charge.

8. shane0911

And the shit looked a hell of a lot more like a bomb than it did a "clock"

Screenshot_2015-09-17-21-25-49.png

lsu-i-like likes this.
  9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Hard to read. How do you tell when it's 5 minutes to kingdom come.

10. shane0911

BOOM!