Do you feed you dog bones?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LSUTiga, Aug 15, 2018.

1. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

My vet friends get frantic when i tell them I give me dogs bones. Been doing it for 50 years w no bad outcomes yet...I'm good!

LSUTiga likes this.
  2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Why would you not give a dog bones? If I cook a bone in steak or roast the dog gets it. The same goes for pork chops or ribs and even some chicken. It's good for their teeth and lots of protein for them as well.

LSUTiga and tirk like this.
  3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

So even veterinary schools are failing us. Why the fuck would you never give a bone to a dog. They actually don't want balanced diets with vegetables as we project our own nonsense on their bags of dogfood with a picture of a cornucopia.

Splintered bones and all that is mostly made up bs. Dogs know what they're supposed to eat. Meat.

LSUTiga, el005639 and shane0911 like this.
  4. MikeInLa

MikeInLa Founding Member

Mine get pretty much whatever they want. I've never had an issue giving bones to any of my dogs. They know how to handle them. What amazes me about dogs is you give them a nice big beef rib bone and they'll carry it around, lay down and "guard" it, then go bury it in the dirt. Come back, dig up the dirty bone and eat it, dirt and all. LMAO
    I love dogs :)

LSUTiga, GiantDuckFan and Bengal B like this.
  5. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

i killed and butchered a nice big buck whittail last year and after i stripped off most all the meat, I took the hind quaters and laid them on a bed of coals for 20 mins or so. Then i threw them in the yard. My Dobermann mix picked up one and was walking around the yard like he was a tiger that had killed a deer. He chewed on thiose damn things all winter.

6. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I once read something about dogs needing to eat raw meat too. As much as it grosses me out, I'll toss the wife's boxer some wild hog entrails and/or trimmings on the bone now and then. Fuggar loves it.

shane0911 likes this.
  7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I would be afraid that the dod might get worms from eating raw meat. Especially uncooked pork that could be loaded with trichinosis.

8. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I didn't say I liked him.

GregLSU and Bengal B like this.
  9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

How do they not choke!

They will eat the head first because thats where all the goodies are. Yes malamutes have evolved eating raw fish from the local fishermen (i think).
    Some people eat raw meat only and are crazy healthy. Dogs probably should eat raw meat only but its not practical. They have low ph digestive systems which allow them to eat almost anything.
    Probably no actual cases of this in North America for dogs.

LSUTiga likes this.
  10. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

Some Germans eat raw pork for breakfast

LSUTiga likes this.