Do you care that the government tracks your phone calls?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex, May 11, 2006.

1. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

After 9/11 I thought he had it in him. But not vetoing the rampant overspending in Congress with a war going on has done him in with me. In the long run, the war in Iraq could be viewed as a success but I waffle on his handling of that everyday.

I don't wanna sound like Red here, but the guy has too much of his daddy in him. Like Sour pointed out, after 9/11 we had a primo opportunity to change many things about the way this country does business at home and abroad, like INS reform where these people can't overstay their visas and fly planes into buildings, immigration control and reform with a definite border strategy, CIA and FBI total reformation, sharing of data and info between these agencies.

I'm not saying yet we shouldn't have gone into Iraq, but we could have taken care of the Taliban while putting the main focus on our problems at home with keeping terrorists out in the first place. We could have used our brisk success in Afghanistan to give our threat of war against Iraq, Iran, Syria etc. more teeth if they didn't get rid of the terrorists camps. Now with sinking polls, an overused military our theats of war agsinst Iran mean nothing because he knows we won't go in there now.

In other words, we overplayed our cards with war and didn't do enough at home to keep terrorists out and track them if they are here.

2. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

3. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

http://slashdot.org/

owned? guess what. this is a non-story from the Clinton administration.....

Answer that one!

4. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Isn't that amazing?
    Hillary looked so shocked too.
    Maybe she should consider being a movie star after she is president.
    She could in fact play the next star in commander in chief.:shock: :grin:

5. LSUDeek

It's just a complete joke that this administration is taking so much heat for a program that was originally proposed under the left's leadership. "Encrypted phone numbers"? Gimme a ****in break.

6. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

I agree. I also think everyone is mixing up two issues. One is the wiretapping or listening in on calls to and from overseas locations. The other is a database containing records of calls. Two different things....the database is the latest one.

I saw an article today that said Britain found out they reportedly had 700 members of Al Qaida living in their country that they are currently looking for to have a talk.

They found out those names from the NSA doing it's job.

There's also a release today of every briefing members of Congress has had with the White House on this program. Cat's out of the bag for these screaming DEM's supposedly "not knowing anything about it." Members have been briefed over 100 times starting in 2004 on this program that has been legal since the 50s.

7. LSUDeek

*crickets*

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You know, it's a really a playground response to say, "Everybody else did it, too." So what? Bush is the one in office doing it right now.

Clinton has been gone a long time now and is irrelevant. Anyway that 90's program was a different one and it didn't leak so there was no protest those who promote civil liberties. And if you read it, you will find that it requires a court order to enforce the issue. LINK

This new NSA program was inititated by this administration after 9/11 and bypassed legal congressional and court oversights. Then it did leak and that is why there is controversy. And if you watch the news you will discover that the objections to domestic spying without a warrant are broad and include many voices on the right and middle, not just the left.

9. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

Hey while we are discussing this, I had the oppurtunity to drive a 1953 MG roadster this last week. Car was sold at Carlisle auction for a smooth 250K, the owner was transporting it in a friends hauler.

Man I couldn't get used to that steering wheel on the wrong side though. The car was like it rolled off the show room floor and had 12,000 original miles....since 1953..wow. :cool:

is that sweet or what? :grin:

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

that is sweet. when i was 16 my mom bought a 1977 MGB, and it was tiny and really fun. but i crashed it and destroyed it. we were about to get it painted green and really make it an awesome machine too. it was a tragedy. it had an amazing wood steering wheel. man, mg made some cool cars.