Do we have a QB?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tirk, May 18, 2018.

1. Don Castavez

Don Castavez Still liking scotch

So from now on each first Wednesday in February do we start scanning the qb signees in the Big 10 to see who our qb will be in two years?
    This is getting embarrassing.

Perple likes this.
  2. Don Castavez

So which qb(s) leaves?

3. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Embarrassing? We’d have taken worse during the recruiting period. Pretty damn impressive recovery, IMO. We’re now at 25,with the two glaring weaknesses filled by upperclassmen who can play immediately.

PS - They are planning on recruiting HS QBs. Might be harder with less void in the QB room, but if our offense looks legit this year, watch out.

4. Herb

Herb Founding Member

It is possible that none leave.

Here is what I see:
    • Burrow - starter for at least one year. He may leave for the draft after 1 season if he plays well. We might have him for 2 seasons if he's not NFL ready after one year.
    • Narcisse - will see playing time this year in certain situations and get reps in mopup roles. Will compete with Burrow for starting job if he stays healthy.
    • McMillen - primary backup who could move into starting role if Burrow stays only one year. Could decide to transfer, though.
    • Brennan - Should redshirt and put on some weight. He is still not 200 pounds. Add 15 pounds and when the smoke clears could have 3 as a starter.
    • Sale - 3rd stringer until he soaks up coaching and improves accuracy. Will move into primary backup role at some point and see some playing time, but I don't see him ever being a starter at LSU.
    McMillen could potentially transfer, but recent LSU QB transfers have not really reached anything near the promised land at other schools. We'll see how Lindsay Scott does at Missouri, but Brandon Harris did not fair well at NC. I'm guessing LSU would not let him go to another SEC school - and let's be realistic - he's not going to transfer and start at a top 25 program. Will he need to sit out a year?

A lot of fears that Brennan will transfer, but I don't think that would be in his best interest. He's listed at weighing 193 pounds on LSUsports.net. He needs to put on a minimum of 15 pounds to take the beating from SEC D-linemen. Brennan needs to take a long view here and redshirt. He can take a year to condition and master the play book. If Brennan redshirts, why would McMillan or Narcisse leave?

Before Burrow transferred, Narcisse might have actually been the most likely starter for LSU. He had the more ideal size to play big boy SEC football than Brennan and as a dual threat QB had more game. Brennan may have better decision making skills but neither separated themselves.

The reality of football players today is that most are "3 and done". For any QB they need to become more realistic that they will - in all likelihood - never be 3 year starters at any program unless they are tier 1 talent. Fans need to come to the same conclusion.

HalloweenRun and MikeInLa like this.
  5. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

McMillian is expected to graduate before fall (or already did?). He’ll be able to transfer and start immediately. I agree he’ll probably have trouble transferring and starting at a major school.

Brian likes this.
  6. Don Castavez

Does it matter if any of the three stay? It's clear they sucked canal water if a search for the starter was going on in mid May.
    Being clueless about developing quarterbacks is similar to cheating on your wife.
    It's never gonna end well.

HalloweenRun and shane0911 like this.
  7. Don Castavez

I love this optimism. Let me guess. When we play the sister fuckers, you bet and give Bama two touchdowns.

8. Herb

Herb Founding Member

And this might have been a foregone conclusion even if Burrow did not transfer here.

9. Herb

Herb Founding Member

No.

I had an uncle committ suicide because he was addicted to gambling. I don't bet. Ever.

Nice try, though.

stevescookin and CajunlostinCali like this.
  10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

McMillan won't stay if he's not the starter. Why would he want to spend his last season of eligibility on the bench.

Narcisse might be the most physically gifted but he would have to make a quantum leap in his passing ability. Of the 4 he is the least accurate. I could see him leaving if Burrow is the starter and Brennan doesn't transfer.

I have no idea what Brennan may do if he doesn't beat out Burrow for the starters job. He did decommit after Oeaux offered the Hawaiian kid who ended up at Alabama.

Burrow looked great in the OSU spring game but spring games are in no way an indication of how a player will perform under real game conditions. Spring game rules are usually tweaked so as to allow the coaches to see things they wouldn't in a regular practice. It's not beyond belief that Brennan might end up as the better QB of the two. I hope Burrow lives up to the already unrealistic fan expectations but nobody really knows.

It's ironic that a guy from a family known for great food has trouble putting on weight.

Who is Sale?

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    ParadiseiNC likes this.