Dirty Birds at Saints

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by CajunlostinCali, Dec 21, 2014.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I think to really evaluate Brees you have to consider what was working for him in the past. He had absolute faith in his ability to throw receivers open, and in their ability to make the plays, especially Colston and Lance Moore. Consequently, he would throw balls to receivers who, in most circumstances, wouldn't be considered open. In '09, in particular, the receivers played way over their heads....Colston, Meachem and Shockey were forever catching balls that most QBs wouldn't have dared to throw.

Fast forward to 2014, and Brees is still trying to make those throws. But Moore and Shockey are gone, Meachem is rarely targeted, and neither Colston nor Graham were making the catches in traffic that we're used to seeing from them. More importantly, opposing DBs are now much more alert to the fact that being in good position against Saints WR's doesn't mean the job is done. They know the ball could come their way any time. Brees has to stop making those high-risk throws.

2. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Well said. I agree fully. Colston finally came around late in the year, but still not making as many catches that were counted on before. Same w/Graham. Having said all of that, Brees will be close to 5K yards again - somehow, someway. For some perspective, years ago, in Air Coryell's offense, in Dan Fouts best season he threw for 4800 yards once. Brees not only has four seasons of 5K+ yards, but not even counting this upcoming last game, this season's yards are already #26 on the list all time. If he passes for 200+ yards against TB, he'll exceed Fouts' best season ever. Just doesn't seem like he had that good of a year. Turnovers, not executing in the clutch, and overall record I think are overshadowing his total yards.

3. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I'm not sure that's it entirely. Did you see some of the throws from Brees on Sunday? Just terrible, especially the pick he threw at the start of the drive where a TD would have won the game for us. He threw it behind his receiver and made it an easy pick for ATL. Other times, he over/under threw his target. And also had some big drops too. I just don't think he's able to string together back to back games where's he's consistent; for whatever reason. He only went 3 games all year without throwing at least one pick. Part of that may be over confidence in his arm or receiver's ability or whatever. I think the entire team needs to be overhauled and we need to become a run first team with a strong defense; kind of like the Broncos at the end of Elway's career. Problem is, backs like Terrell Davis are few and far between.

4. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Lots of truth here; Brees is a 35-year old QB who's still trying to play the game like he's 30. His arm strength and accuracy are not what they once were, which means, he can't be the risk taker he once was (the point of my previous post).

fanatic likes this.