Dinner for 2

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by dltigers3, Mar 2, 2010.

1. UPTTiger

UPTTiger Founding Member

I have been doing lots of salmon lately. It's easy.

Salt, pepper, and lemon slices (you can throw in various stuff like butter, olive oil, rosemary, etc). Wrap in tin foil and throw it on the top rack of the grill. Once you can hear it bubbling, its done. Put the tip of the spatula right above the skin and push it though... the skin should stick to the foil and you are ready to eat.

I hate cleaning after cooking so that why I use an outdoor grill then eat the fish off the foil... classy, I know!

I started dabbling in the kitchen once I got married. I'm still not good at much, but I can finally come home and not have to leave to get food. For what I was paying for generic takeout or fast food, I could buy some nice stuff at the grocery.

2. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Here is a link to a brand of prepared wine sauce I purchase at Fresh Market, they also sell a white wine sauce:

Ready-to-Use Red Wine Foundation Sauce - More than Gourmet - Cooking Foundations: Sauces, Stocks, Demi-Glace

You can use the sauces "as is" or doctor it up as you see fit. You can grill or saute just about any meat and "make" a good sauce to go with it. Add butter, herbs, shrooms, onions, shallots etc. to "personalize" the sauce. Bon appetite!!!!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. tyf69

tyf69 Founding Member

My fanily uses a lot of those Tony's and Zatarans meals. Red beans and rice. 2 boxes
    and 2 pounds of sausage and you're eating. Besides, I work at a paper mill and can't
    go out for lunch so I usually have enough for my lunch the next day. 1 box should do
    you and your wife nicely. Usually you're eating for around $5 too.

1 person likes this.
  4. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

do what I do. Find a meat (chicken, steak, pork, etc.), spice it up and put on some corn and peas. Simple.

Cut up a few potatoes, put em in a pot and add enough water to cover the potatoes. Boil until they're tender and then drain all the water out. Mash em up and add some mayo (gross, i know but it helps) and some milk. I like to sub out the mayo with ranch most of the time and add some shredded cheese and bacon bits and chives (if you like). pretty good and easy. Just takes some time boiling the potatoes.

5. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

you're missing an ingredient

[​IMG]

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I make stuffed bell peppers at least once a month. I use all the stuffing and freeze the stuffed peppers in microwavable containers 2 at a time. If its just for me I use one container and if its for 2 I use 2 containers.

You can do the same thing with spaghetti, etoufe, red beans, ect.

7. dltigers3

dltigers3 Veteran Member

Im just looking for stuff to try, so quick and easy, or something with prep time. I'm up for anything

8. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I couldn't live without leftovers. I cook too much on purpose, so that I don't have to cook very much after work during the week.

1 person likes this.
  9. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

chop up and brown chicken then prepare it in Rice-a-roni. Takes ten minutes to prepare and 20 minutes to cook. Very easy but not just a box meal. Southern Living has a good chicken and dumplings recipe that takes under a half hour to cook. We eat hamburger helper twice a month. My wife and I both work and our daughter demands food at 5:30 so we have to do quick and easy. Slow cookers are great too.

1 person likes this.
  10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Rice-a-roni and hamburger helper have been staples at my place for decades. For prepared food, it is not bad at all, being just noodles and dried spices that you would use anyway if you made it from scratch. The fresh meat is all the difference. Box chili-mac is great, while canned chili-mac is dog food.

Incidentally, I think the best Hamburger Helper is the chili-mac and the beef stroganoff.

I grew up in a house with two working parents and we ate a lot of casseroles that were easy 30-minute meals and I loved them all. Mom made a great casseroles out of just about anything. She had a mexican casserole, a shrimp & crabmeat, a chicken & mushroom, a shepard's pie, and a tuna/noodle that were my favorites and about a dozen more. I still like casseroles.