Dewberry jelly

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by jvalhenson, Apr 29, 2017.

1. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

Dewberries are thicker than I've ever seen them this year. Made a small batch of jelly the other day and got about a gallon of juice left for pies. Scaled it back some this year kinda over did it last year so had a good bit left still. Got a few gallons of mayhaws I'm gonna boil down tomorrow and make jelly out of those. Won't be long the blueberries will come in and bushes are loaded with those.
    [​IMG]

COTiger likes this.
  2. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

What, if anything do you buy at a grocery store? I don't think I've seen you mention dairy cows so if I had to venture a guess I would say milk & butter. IconLOL.gif

3. jvalhenson

Yea but haven't always. Up until I was about 15 we had dairy cows. When my great grandpa passed that kinda stopped with him no one else wanted to keep that part going. We don't have any cows at all any more even the beef cattle are gone. Lightning killed those in one big storm but that's been talked about on here before.

4. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

How many cattle did you lose?
    My Grandma used to make the best fig preserves, and all kinds of jellies.

5. jvalhenson

around 30

6. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

yes, agree i socked away about 25 pounds of black berries and dewberries this year.

7. jvalhenson

hell the majority of the ones around my house just rotted. I picked more than I needed and a few friends picked a couple gallons each but we didnt put a dent in em. They bout dried up now. The dewberries anyways....the blackberries still about 2 weeks away from getting ripe but I prob wont pick any except just a few handfuls to eat of the briarless vines I planted.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

It's a shame for all those berries to go to waste. I used to have a place to pick them here in Baton Rouge but that whole area has been turned into houses now.

9. jvalhenson

best place we had here is where the old junior high i went to was. Katrina flooded it and swept it somewhere into the sound but what was left quickly covered in dewberries. It was popular but you could have 50 folks out there all filling 5 gallon buckets with em and still not get em all. Last several years till funding came through to turn it into a freaking soccer field.

10. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

its interesting that your blackberries are not yet producing, mine in Texas were only about 3 weeks behind my dew berries. and have been dried for a couple of weeks.