Devonte Lee moving to LB?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tzanghi, Mar 4, 2020.

1. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

Saw it on Instagram. Supposedly per Coach O. I really like the move if so. Kid is too talented to sit the bench behind our stellar WRs and he’s fairly big.

2. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

From what I understand, he wants to play D. I think he will excel given his talent and tenencies from his natural position. He should look good dropping back into pass D.

Usually guys that transition to LB just wanna crush fools, so maybe he just likes slappin fuckers. We'll see, but I like the outlook

shane0911, tzanghi and Brian like this.
  3. Brian

Brian Founding Member

His decision. He's going to be a big time monster backer for us. Body just wasn't ideal for receiver.

shane0911 likes this.
  4. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

He’s like the same size that Queen was when he came in. I always saw Lee on the sidelines and wondered how in the world he was a WR being that big. He’s going to turn some heads for sure. Fits Pelini’s scheme, I think, especially against the spread.

Brian likes this.
  5. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Lsusports has him listed as 6'1 223. That would seem light for an SEC LB. Has he gained some weight that isnt being made official?

Seeing Marcel Brooks as well, even lighter. Not sure if thats good or bad in a 4-3.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  6. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

Brooks is most definitely light. I don’t know what they are thinking about that.

Queen just weighed in at 229 at the combine, which is not too far above what Lee is listed at(although he could be listed higher than he is) https://www.nfl.com/prospects/patrick-queen?id=32195155-4530-8806-168a-7e9ee3bd3f96

Interestingly, Phillips also weighed in at 229. That’s surprising to me. https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jacob-phillips?id=32195048-4925-4322-4ff5-33f36c969da0

My guess is that Lee will have to put in some weight but maybe not a ton.

furduknfish likes this.
  7. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Right but they played in mostly in Aranda's 3-4. Wondering if thats adequate in Pelinis 4-3. One less body to stuff run at second level.

8. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Lee is essentially Queen's size.

O said he wants Brooks at only 215, so about 10 lbs heavier than he is now. I thought for sure Brooks would play OLB. I think they'll treat Brooks like an Isaiah Simmons, playing all over the field. Simmons wasn't that thick either when you think about it, he was 6'4".

9. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

Typically, coaches want bigger LBs in the 3-4, than the 4-3, although I never understood the rationale because, like you said, you have more bodies in the 3-4. I think 225 is probably big enough for OLB, but not MLB.

furduknfish likes this.
  10. 65Grad

65Grad Maturity is Overrated

It was my understanding that during his recruiting he wanted to play WR but almost all the big schools were recruiting him to play defense. O told him if he came to LSU he could play WR. I believe O realized that after he saw our stable of WRs he would end up playing D, which is where O probably wanted him to begin with. Sort of the old "bait and switch" thing. If so, that makes O one smart freakin' coon ass!:D

Rolan and Bengal B like this.