Defense

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSU_4_LIFE, Oct 25, 2020.

1. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

What are your thoughts? I think we have areas of the field where we’re extremely talented and areas where we’re in big trouble. It’s Urban Meyers “find the fish” approach and we will be giving up big plays all year.

Clark, Flott and even Stevens are huge liabilities. Clark is either completely lost or he is leaving his assignment to try and bail out someone who missed theirs. But he is constantly out of position.

Flott and Stevens have terrible coverage skills and awareness.

We have 2 great cover corners in Stingley and Ricks.

BJ is going to be one of the best edge rushers to have ever played at LSU.

We still don’t like to hit, wrap up and tackle. For as much as Gaye has been hyped up for his pass rush, he isn’t that great in stopping the run.

I feel like we looked better with Baskerville in at MLB. Although that swing pass to the RB on 3rd down on SC’s final TD was a bad read by him, and rather than going and making a play he stood at the 1st down marker and waited for the RB to get there. I hated watching that.

This D will be a problem all year with glimpses of a better future.

2. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

The D just needs to be average to win some of these games. They looked below average last night. SC runs some of the most basic football concepts that have been around forever and our LBs and safeties were all out of sorts at times.

The talent is there everywhere. If they ever put it together mentally, they have a chance to be the 2nd or 3rd best defense in the conference. I honestly feel that some of these guys are hamstringing Pelini at this point. I don’t understand how that is if they were in Aranda’s complicated scheme for years.

3. LSU_4_LIFE

With Auburn’s motion and misdirection, take the over the next week.

4. 65Grad

65Grad Maturity is Overrated

I don't think the problem is Pellini.

Bayou Tiger and ehusson80 like this.
  5. LSU_4_LIFE

I’m starting to agree, however he will remain the whipping boy as it’s his unit. We have some personnel issues and talent issues.

But, Pelini is responsible for the lineup and rotation. I don’t think Clark and Stevens should be in their respective positions. They’re both constantly out of position and lack the necessary speed. Clark is a DE playing MLB and Stevens is a LB playing S

Now, it’s possible they could be leaving their assignments trying to help others who are out of position and don’t have the speed to recover, (we can’t see the entire field from every angle on tv) but on the majority of big plays, it’s usually one of those 2 who were taken out of the play by their own doing. Tank Bigsby is going to be a huge problem next Saturday for Damone Clark. Huge problem!

Flott struggles tremendously on crossing routes. He can’t fight through picks and rubs. We may need to consider a change a nickel.

Lastly, our tackling is still lazy as shit and not up to LSU standards.

Kudos to our pass rush, BJ needs to start from here on out. Ricks is coming into his own. Stingley is bored. Nobody throwing his way. He will be assigned to Seth Williams next week, should see more action. The Bama game will be the most action he will see all year.

Hou-duco, kcal and Bayou Tiger like this.
  6. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

They use motion to get you to declare the defense and then send guys across zones or flood blockers to one side and throw screens behind it. Plus Gus loves pace. We need that running game we gas last night. That’ll kill that up tempo. Do we have someone who can cover a back? See, I just ran a bunch of motion to ask that question. Crazy.

LSU_4_LIFE likes this.
  7. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Even I remember to look at the guards as a LB to know where the play is going. Its basic high-school fundamentals these kids are failing at. We have the talent, they just are not in the right fucking spot most of the time.

tzanghi and LSU_4_LIFE like this.
  8. LSU_4_LIFE

We gave up 8 yards per play last night........ to a below average offense at that.

I understand defense has taken a backseat in this day and age, but that’s really bad.

We will make Gus’s offense look unstoppable next week. Get your booze ready

tzanghi likes this.
  9. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

Gus does everything Mizzou does. Tons and tons of misdirection with running lanes in the middle. If we don’t get gap assignment down they will run for 400+.

LSU_4_LIFE likes this.
  10. kcal

kcal Founding Member

I’m not impressed with auburn on either side of the ball

BayouBengal014 and Winston1 like this.