Debt Ceiling Deadline - August 2nd

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by mobius481, Jul 11, 2011.

1. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I tend to agree, please re-read my last sentence. Having stated that, if you are going to quote numbers, based on known facts, I believe the CBO numbers are the best you can come up with,and they, today, don't show the wild increase that many "know" will happen.

I really cannot, but just to rise to the challenge, I will offer up the INTERSTATE HIGHWAY program. Started out very ambitious, did a lot of good, but now funding is cut to a smidgen, bridges are crumbling, potholes, prevail, and capacity is lacking. Actually, that is a pretty good one! Unfortunately, roads don't vote!

2. alfredeneuman

alfredeneuman Founding Member

Who's charged with maintaining those roads?

3. TBTrumpet

TBTrumpet Founding Member

I believe the states are supposed to maintain them. I think the deal was that the federal gov't builds them, the states maintain them.

4. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I don't know. A quick internet search, and I can't vouch for that, indicates the federal govt is charged with maintaining, with "help from the states." Again, I do not know.

I found this, too: "Well, the money is Federal, but the actual maintainers are state-hired, and it's a state-level project."

5. alfredeneuman

Is it possible some states do a better job than others at maintaining their portion of the interstate(s)? I guess my question is, is it a matter of funding or mismanagement/misallocation by individual states? I've driven all over the US and have seen some pretty good interstates, and also some pretty crappy stretches.

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

no that is not possible. a magical ghost is sent from saturn that adjusts the maintenance levels of all interstates to be exactly identical.

7. kluke

kluke Founding Member

One of my Dad's favorite sayings was "Figures don't lie, but liars figure". The biggest problem with the CBO numbers is not the integrity or the ability of the CBO analysts; it’s the integrity of legislators that write language to game the system. The game is to give the CBO a bill that will result in a low number knowing it won’t be the final reality. For example, the health care bill needed to have its CBO number lower to pick up more support. No problem, let’s carve out the Medicare doctors adjustment that everyone acknowledges has to happen to make this thing work. The CBO numbers are adjusted downward because they only score what’s in the bill. But everyone acknowledges that there is ‘work’ to be done.

It’s not a Democrat thing, it’s a Washington thing. I could give examples for both parties. Our political system has evolved in an environment of ‘No Limits’. If we can dream it, we can do it, and money is not to stand in our way. There are some corrupt people in congress but the biggest problem is the lack of ‘system integrity’. Our political system rewards those congressmen who lack financial discipline, at least up until now. That’s why we have 10 to 20 trillion dollars of debt.

As for as your example, I agree with your statement about the INTERSTATE HIGHWAY system. But it’s not an apple to apples comparison. It’s not considered a “God given right” to drive on smooth roads – except in Texas. The entitlement programs are guaranteed in the constitution – just ask Senator Al Franken.

8. alfredeneuman

Ha, ha. Very funny, motherphuker.

My point is funding for interstate maintenance is just like any other government program. I'm not saying this to take a cheap shot at halloween, but is there a government program where the recipient tells the federal government they've got enough funding?

NY is a prime example. For the three years I spent at USMA, I never did understand why some of the roads in NY are that crappy, with taxes out the ass and toll roads all over the place.

9. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

State departments do the work, but the agencies are funded with federal dollars. In Louisiana DOTD is nearly 75% federally funded.

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

The GOP's hidden debt-deal agenda: Gut the EPA - Yahoo! News

Gut the EPA, real nice. I know let's just get rid of all laws, let the corporations pollute our water, our air, and turns us into a bunch of mutated freaks. But at least the poor corporations can make their profits. I am fully convinced that the GOP is here to destroy America, if it can make them a dollar.