Daytona 500

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by qball316, Feb 16, 2008.

1. DownOnTheBayou

DownOnTheBayou Say My Name!

Well it's obvious Rusty Wallace was a better driver than he is an announcer.

Listening to the post-race analysis on ESPN News, RW hasn't a clue. He was saying that Jr. lost the race when he didn't pit on that caution in which everyone else did.

Well im no genious, but it was obvious that Jr. was banking on another caution before the end and his wish was granted. And Jr. pitted as well as everyone else and came out first.

What cost Jr. a shot was being behind shrub when he went below the yellow line and had to slow down.

Nascar has the worst announcers of all the major sports imo. They even have a former basketball player in Brad Daugherty announcing. Maybe we'll see Jeff Gordon announcing Saints games when he retires. :grin:

2. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

I agree, Rusty is a waste on the tube. He got demoted from calling races and now only does sideline work. Brad Daughtery is a stand up guy. Really knows his racing. He has some invested interest but the guy is really good for calling a race. Wish HE replaced Rusty. ESPN showed some really bad coverage last year and in most part due to Rusty. Hope they get it right because I couldn't wait for their coverage last year. Here is for hoping.

3. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

brad may be a basketball guy, but he knows more about racing than most. he was one of the best bball sideline guys, and i suspect he will become pretty good with nascar once he gets used to the booth.

4. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

DJ will be entering the booth soon. Replacing Rusty, perhaps?

5. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

I agree that the announcers...particularly RW...suck. However, you are incorrect that Jr. pitted after the "another caution" that he was banking on. Jr. did NOT pit even that time. That IS one of the things that cost him. Another thing that cost him was Casey Mears being stupid! Jr. and Dilwad...I mean Tony...were fixing to blow the field away...and Mears' hesitation brought out a caution that 20 and 88 didn't need...AND stopped them from being able to shoot past everyone.

Of course, 20 would later get the lead...before being freight-trained by the Penskes...but had he and Jr. been up front together, one of them would've won.

Anyway...no, Jr. did NOT pit...at all...at least the final 40 laps.

2 people like this.
  6. CajunlostinCali

7. TexTiger

TexTiger Founding Member

I've got Newman

8. CajunlostinCali

Kind of shocking that Dodge took 6 of the top ten spots. Based on what I have seen since testing began I am floored. Yea for Newman...