Daytona 500

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Bengal B, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

NASCAR time again with the Daytona 500 on March 26. I never really understood how the twin qualifying races set the running order and I still don't but apparently the Hendrick Motorsport duo of Chase Elliot and Dale Earnhardt Jr are already set to start 1 & 2

The Can-Am Duels are a pair of qualifying races held on Feb. 23 (starting at 7 p.m. ET on FS1, MRN, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio) that will determine the bulk of the field for the 2017 Daytona 500 (Feb. 26, 2 p.m. ET, FOX, MRN, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio). NASCAR.com offers a look at how the twin qualifying races work and how they impact the Daytona 500.

What is the format?
    There are two 60-lap, 150-mile races. Who is in which Duel is determined based on qualifying speeds from Sunday's single-lap qualifying runs.

How do the Duels set the Daytona 500 lineup?
    The Duels determine who will line up in spots 3-38 on the starting grid for the "Great American Race" after Sunday's qualifying speeds saw the Hendrick Motorsports duo of Chase Elliott and Dale Earnhardt Jr. earn front row spots for the 2017 Daytona 500.

Drivers in the first Duel race will line up on the inside row for the Daytona 500 (odd-numbered starting position), based on the order in which they finish the first Duel race. Drivers in the second Duel race will line up on the outside row for the Daytona 500 (even-numbered starting positions), based on the order in which they finish the second Duel race. Remember, all 36 Charter teams are guaranteed spots in theDaytona 500.

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

3. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

I get out on the redneck side every now & then

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

My long hair just don't cover up my red neck

diamondheadtiger and shane0911 like this.