Daniel Cabrera Commits to LSU Baseball

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by LSUDad, Jan 7, 2015.

1. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Curtis sophomore Daniel Cabrera commits to play baseball at LSU
    [​IMG]
    Curtis sophomore pitcher/outfielder Daniel Cabrera has committed to play baseball for LSU (Photo courtesy of John Curtis Christian School)
    By Mike Strom, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
    on January 07, 2015 11:59 AM, updated January 07, 2015 2:48 PM

As a baseball phenom, Curtis pitcher and outfielder Daniel Cabrera always has operated ahead of the curve.

The Patriots sophomore, who was a Class 3A All-State selection as a freshman, continued that trend Tuesday night when he committed to play baseball for LSU.

Cabrera said Wednesday that he delivered his commitment to Coach Paul Mainieri via telephone after choosing the Tigers ahead of Vandebilt, TCU and Tulane. Cabrera also considered Florida and North Carolina.

“He was all happy,’’ Cabrera said of Mainieri while noting that he first contacted LSU assistant coach Andy Cannizaro to share his decision. “Right now, (Mainieri is) in Colorado on a skiing trip with his family. But he was all happy.

“He said in a few years we’re going to win a national championship.’’

In addition to earning All-State and New Orleans All-Metro honors as a freshman, Cabrera -- a 6-foot, 180-pound left-hander with 87 miles per hour velocity on his fastball -- is ranked among the nation’s top 200 players for the Class of 2017 by rating services such as USA Baseball, Collegiate Baseball and Perfect Game, Curtis Coach Johnny Curtis said.

LSU coaches project Cabrera as possibly a weekend starter as a pitcher in addition to being used at first base, designated hitter and in the outfield, Curtis pitching coach Jeff Curtis said.

As a full-time varsity starter as a freshman blessed with outstanding foot speed, Cabrera pitched, played all three outfield positions, first base and served as a designated hitter for a Curtis team that finished as Class 3A state runner-up with a 31-7 record after earning a No. 1 seed in the playoffs and being ranked as the New Orleans Metro area’s No. 1 team for schools from Classes 3A, 2A and 1A.

Cabrera batted .392 in 2014, going 40-for-102 with 36 runs scored, and he drove in 31 runs, hit 13 doubles and five triples. He recorded a slugging percentage was .618 and on-base percentage of .492.

On the mound, Cabrera went 6-0 with an ERA of 2.04 and struck out 55 batters in 48 innings. Cabrera recorded victories against Neville, a Class 4A finalist, West Ouachita, a Class 4A semifinalist, St. Charles, a Class 3A quarterfinalist, and had a three-inning save versus Brother Martin, a Class 5A quarterfinalist.

In addition to earning All-State and New Orleans All-Metro honors as a utility selection as a freshman, Cabrera also was a member of USA Baseball’s 15-and-under gold medalist winners in the 2013 Pan-American Games as a 14-year-old. Cabrera was Team USA’s winning pitcher in the semifinals versus Cuba in the competition staged in Barranquilla, Columbia.

“I just thought why would I wait, I know what I want,’’ Cabrera, who turned 16 in September, said of his decision to commit to LSU so early. “At Curtis we win state championships and at LSU we can win national championships. LSU gives me the best opportunity to do that.’’

“What is different about Daniel from other players,’’ Curtis Coach Johnny Curtis said, “is you get basically two scholarship players with one guy. You get a guy who can compete on the mound and who’s got all of the physical tools that you need.

“I still think Daniel is in the process of learning the game mentally as a pitcher. In terms of his skills, a lot of people talk about five-tool players and Daniel is probably at about four and a half right now.

“His (foot) speed is one of his biggest assets. He swings the bat. He hits the baseball for both average and power. His arm in the outfield is a plus for him position-wise defensively.

“I fully anticipate him playing center field for us before he’s done. Because of his foot speed I think he has the potential to play that position at the next level as well. With his physical ability and given his age, he’s got what people at the next level are looking for.’’

In choosing LSU, Cabrera said, “I just fell in love with the campus and the baseball team. When I visited we went around to all of the facilities and I loved that. And the academics were the best part with all of the tutors and advisers that they have to support you.

“And, of course, there is the tradition LSU has in baseball.’’

2. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Great kid trying to live the dream. I hope he remains in the outfield because it seems he has more talent than just on the mound. If his batting average is up there, maybe with his speed he could be a good SS? Hope he doesn't wear his arm out trying to do everything. Impressive resume playing the USA team at 15U. I took my kid to one of their clinics and all he got was a thank you letter. Good times though.

LSUDad likes this.
  3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

He's a lefty, won't be playing any shortstop.

LSUDad and CajunlostinCali like this.
  4. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

You're right, I did not know that. Outfield and maybe first. Considering his arm, outfield is a plus.

LSUDad likes this.
  5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Daniel cabrera pitched for the Os could throw triple digits but walked everyone. He was about 6'8 240.

He may still be on a roster.

LSUDad likes this.
  6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

He's clearly not related to the guy I was referring.

LSUDad likes this.