Dandy Don reports NCAA to offer unlimited transfers, immediate eligibility

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CagedTiger, Jul 23, 2022.

1. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

The NCAA proved it was clueless when they allowed NIL to take place without any hard guidelines in place, but if this proposal is passed, it will be the death of the NCAA. Why would we need the NCAA when players would be allowed to get paid, have unlimited transfers and become immediately eligible? What the freak are they thinking? Is Biden suddenly running the NCAA too?

65Grad and BornOnTheBayou like this.
  2. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

Worst idea possible.

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Settle down Jethro

The ground has been shaking beneath the feet of the NCAA for quite some time now. Once the dust settles with teams/conf alignment I suspect they will boot the NCAA right out of existence. I would also expect the conf reps to establish a new set of rules.

4. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

I keep hearing people say that soon the NCAA will no longer exist (which I totally agree with), but how do you get rid of the NCAA? The NCAA is run by college presidents, who oversee everything at the school, including athletics. Like I said, I totally agree with disbanding the NCAA, but I just don't see any route to achieving that, if those you're looking to overthrow are your bosses.

5. shane0911

Because they aren't! It's who has the power and right now the P5 have ALL of it!

6. Herb

Herb Founding Member

This might actually turn out to be good medicine against NIL money. Boosters might think twice about writing big fat NIL checks to kids if there are no guarantees that the kids will stick around for more than a year.

There was always big dollars under the table with recruiting. LSU included. The money is now just in plain sight.

For schools that recruited at a high level, the money doesn't disappear. LSU had recruiting money before NIL and has recruiting money now. I doubt any LSU boosters are suddenly funding Texas A&M's NIL pool...the money didn't go away.

The only thing that changed is that the perception in the minds of kids was - for the 1st year of NIL - that Texas and Texas A&M had gobs more money than other schools. This was due to Texas' laws were written to benefit their universities wrt to NIL whereas Louisiana's initial NIL laws were designed to protect LSU from potential punishment...those laws are now replaced and LSU is pretty much on an even footing with everyone else.

Frankly, I'd like to see kids like Jacoby Matthews do a one and done at TAMU and come play football for the team they always dreamed of playing football for.

Non-athletes always had the ability to go to any school they wanted. Why should it be different for athletes? If I had an academic scholarship to Tulane and LSU later offered me one, why shouldn't I be allowed to transfer after a year and maybe a year after that if Yale offered me a scholarship, why couldn't I then transfer to Yale after another year?

Athletic scholarships are not slavery or indentured servitude. At least they shouldn't be anymore.]

I'm less worried about this proposal than I am of the B1G athletes demanding an equal share of TV contracts. That type of thing is a far greater threat to college athletics than this.

7. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

I understand what you're saying about the average student being allowed to transfer, but college football has never played by the same academic rules. I think we all know that a large percentage of college football and basketball recruits are on campus for their athletic skills only, not academics. I feel comfortable in saying about 50 percent of college basketball/football athletes on campuses across America can't read at an eighth grade level. I just think by making scholarships 4 years, it will cut out all this transferring and put pressure on coaches to better evaluate talent because they will be with you for more than a few months. It will also stop other schools from paying a player under the table to transfer to their school.

As for players getting a portion of the TV contracts, I just don't see that happening because the players are their for such a short period of time. I don't see any school offering tv money to a teenager that hasn't even stepped foot on campus and could leave at anytime. TV money also goes to support the entire school, so I don't see athletes getting any piece of the pie.

8. Herb

Herb Founding Member

Most Americans can't read at an 8th grade level, which is why so many people buy into the Fox News/Trump bullshit.
    Scholarships are a series of 1 year deals. Right now, a school can 'process out' athletes at any time. The power is concentrated in the school's favor.
    What I see this having the potential to do is have a tamping affect on NIL deals. At the end of the day, kids want playing time and exposure. If they are buried on the depth chart and they have an opportunity to actually have a highlight reel that they can leverage to have a professional career, more power to them.

BornOnTheBayou likes this.
  9. shane0911

So you chastise CT about politics in the Den then proceed to bring politics into the den. Be better @Herb

Hou-duco likes this.
  10. Herb

Herb Founding Member

My original post was removed (I assume by you), so in my mind it didn't exist anymore.
    You going to call CT out too, or do you only have objection to political references you don't agree with?
    You can be better too, bro.

Winston1 likes this.