Dad posts pic of kid w/ gun, Family Services threatens to take kid

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by KyleK, Mar 20, 2013.

1. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Which is exactly why I would never let them in my house without a warrant, unlike the mother of this child.

2. MLUTiger

Nope. Unlike the mother of this child, I would not have let the police or social services in my home without a warrant.

This is only a threat to ignorant people.

What does your educational background have to do with anything? Some of the dumbest people I know have multiple degrees. Some of the smartest and most successful people I know have no degrees or very little outside of a HS education. It was not a remark to your education, but to your mistrust of anything with the "government" label attached.

No one is out to get you. No one cares about you or even knows you exist. Just calm down, chicken little...

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Neither the social worker nor the police had any authority to ask for proof of registration of any guns in the house. This was totally bogus and illegal as no registration is required. The wife, who should never have let them into the house, was intimidated by the presence of four offices in flak vests and a social worker suggesting that a child could be taken away. The social worker's failure to identify herself was improper. If they though there was enough of a threat to send four officers, why didn't they ask a judge for a search warrant? Because they knew that they had no legal basis for searching, but they went anyway and engaged in an unwarranted fishing expedition.

What the social worker should have done was to call the parents and ask them to clear up a matter about their son. Give them a chance to obtain legal representation, she could have used some herself. There was no need to call in the police to engage in a unwarranted invasion of privacy, intimidation, and a made-up suggestion that their guns required some sort of registration or inspection.

4. MLUTiger

You don't need authority to ask questions. You only need a mouth. They arrived at the house to ask questions about the picture and the gun. Again, no authority is required to ask questions. I don't know what questions they asked, not that it matters because it's not illegal to ask questions.

Shawn Moore arrived later after speaking to a lawyer and asked them to leave if they had no warrant. They left.

Which law was broken?

Which Constitutional Right was violated?

The Moore's felt so outraged and violated that they later called the Carney's Point Police department and apologized for their behavior.

5. gynojunkie

gynojunkie "Pooties R Us"

Sweet! You must be a nice person.

6. gyver

gyver Rely on yourself not on others.

Police will use intimidation tactics and ignorance of the law to gain access and even confiscation. If you don't know any better,if you let them in and they ask for your firearm and you give it to them, it's not against the law. It's when they try and take it. Thats where the problem arises.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

They were not neighbors asking how was the weather. They were officials making official requests to see private guns and registration. They had no authority to do this. It was improper and so was intimidating a women with four armed and armored officers. They should have asked for a warrant and been denied and then nothing would have happened. They let a misguided social worker use them to harass a citizen.

They have to live in that town.

gyver and LSUsupaFan like this.
  8. xlnsports

xlnsports Cajun In Exile

I called and apologized to my cousin for punching her boyfriend out once... he deserved it but i felt bad that she had to witness it. Semantics gotta love em :)

9. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

Wow, 6 pages about nothing.

10. MLUTiger

Since you seem to have ignored the second half of my post: