Dad posts pic of kid w/ gun, Family Services threatens to take kid

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by KyleK, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

They can both be ridiculous.

2. 4EvrLSU

4EvrLSU Like a '59 Cadillac

Or maybe father and son both were proud of this accomplishment:

I know I would be proud of my son for that kind of accomplishment. As far as I know, hunting is still considered a legitimate sporting activity, even in some Yankee states.

Given the way the kid is holding the gun, he knows more about them than many trying to pass anti-gun legislation. Instead of calling Youth and Family Services on this family, the father should be congratulated for making sure his son knows proper gun safety, rules, and respect of firearms.

GregLSU, fanatic and KyleK like this.
  3. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Chaos, you're getting off topic, but to humor you, tell me, which (if any) of the following pics is ridiculous? One is "doing" the activity of shooting, the other is posing with a gun. Should I not have taken the second one? These are both from Christmas last year.

My niece shooting in the front yard (we are in the country).

[​IMG]

or my niece just looking cute?

[​IMG]

In the second pic, she is not "doing" the activity of shooting, but it is a better pic than the one where she is actually shooting.

4. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Not saying there was anything illegal. And considering Moore's credentials, he probably knows at least as much about firearm safety and gun laws in general as the cops who came to his door.

Sounds to me like he was perfectly within in his rights in all his actions, and spot on with his interpretation of the law and how to protect himself from abuse....a little too spot on, right down to arriving home with his lawyer already on the speaker phone so he could monitor the proceedings.

I don't think he did a thing wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out he was looking for some kind of confrontation like this. The extreme right wingers have been telling us since Sandy Hook that Obama's going to come get our guns. And now someone's gotten them to try, even though they (Obama) didn't really.

red55 likes this.
  5. mctiger

Another point, Kyle. You say you've posted pics of your kids holding guns. What kind of guns? I read one of the best pro-2nd Amendment articles I've ever seen not too long ago. Didn't post it here because it was insanely long, but this guy (a retired state trooper and concealed carry permit instructor) blew up every gun control argument out there. And one point he made is that so many of the laws that supposedly control "assault weapons" are based on cosmetic or superficial modifications to the gun. So here we have a picture of a kid holding what looks like an "assault weapon." But its not, its a plain old .22 rifle like most of us grew up with, but its been jazzed up to look like something its not. It's a '97 Honda Civic with one of those big mufflers that makes it sound likes its putting out 450 hp. What sparked the report to family services, I'll bet, was the fact that the gun looked far more dangerous than it is....a fact I'll also bet dad was well aware of.

6. Contained Chaos

If she's actually in the process of shooting the gun in the first pic, then I'd give that one a slight edge because she's rather preoccupied making a face for the camera. I'm not here to tell you what pictures you should or should not take. I just don't really understand the goal in posing with a gun. Maybe some people think it makes them look dangerous or edgy, but they are wrong.

7. mctiger

She looks awfully dangerous in the first picture....finger on the trigger, but paying no attention to where the gun is pointed.

8. Contained Chaos

Touche'!

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Or where she places the butt of the stock. If she squeezed off a high-velocity round, she would bruise her shoulder or her chin, possibly both.

Clearly she is "posing" in both photos.

4EvrLSU likes this.
  10. mctiger

I know; but I'm feeling bitchy and provocative today.