Cutting the cord to cable tv, Sony Vue may be your answer

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by islstl, May 30, 2016.

1. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Amazon scooped up most of the old HBO series which was a nice move.

IS HBO included with Vue or extra?

2. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

You can't get HBO through Vue currently. HBO does sell access as a standalone, however and accessed via their app.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

yeah since HBO has a standalone service, not much of an issue that Vue doesn't have it

4. islstl

I need to check out those cable channels on Amazon fire tv. I just assumed they would ask for some access charges. Good to know.

I'm tempted to get Amazon Prime (first of all, I almost make enough purchases to warrant getting the service for the shipping end of things alone). And I got Fire TV now, I just feel compelled to pull the trigger and get it.

Just downloaded the Amazon Fire TV Remote app on my LG G2 phone and that's pretty cool. Easy to use.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  5. islstl

I just downloaded the A&E app (free) on Amazon fire tv. Pretty cool. Watching the first episode of the new Roots series.

Vue does not have the A&E family of channels.

Now time to go and hunt for the History channel.

And lo and behold I've found it and bingo, bango, boingo, I've got my A&E channels at my fingertips.

6. islstl

ok, so I got the History channel downloaded on my Amazon fire tv, but they wanted verification that I have it with a cable subscriber. So I went through the verification process (ATT Uverse) and it successfully allowed me access. So now that I've done that, is it just going to assume I will continue to have Uverse as my cable provider? I'm cancelling it after Tuesday. So how will it know I no longer have Uverse?

The app on the phone did ask me to actually used my login credentials from Uverse. So I could see that failing after Tuesday. Oddly enough, fire tv did not do the same thing with it's verification process.

As a test on my phone, I went to task manager and asked it to shut down the History channel app. I went back into the app and it doesn't ask for me to login with my uverse credentials and it's giving me access to all it's content. Looks like a one time deal. I sure hope so.

Just did the same thing with the Tennis channel.

7. bhelmLSU

Each App is different but I wouldn't assume it is one-time for any of them but maybe you will get lucky on some of them. I have seen some ask for re-verification if haven't used that app on that device in a while. Also seen some re-request every couple of weeks or a month, etc...

8. bhelmLSU

I use amazon more than Hulu and maybe even Netflix. I also bought my subs for Showtime and Starz through Amazon because I like the guide layout better and all in one place. Also believe it was $1 cheaper per month through amazon at the time I subscribed compared to other purchase options.

tirk likes this.
  9. bhelmLSU

I have not seen a HBO Now app (which is the stand alone service) on PS4 yet. However, you may still be able to access through the PS4 HBO Go app. Haven't tested that.

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Amazon prime is worth it just for the movies and music. Free 2 day shipping makes it a no brainer. I've had it almost since year 1 Id imagine.