Cutting the cord to cable tv, Sony Vue may be your answer

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by islstl, May 30, 2016.

1. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Roughly, what is insane & what does it include? TIA

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

sony vue had their very first commercial aired this past week

3. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Im trying a trial of sling. i really like it. quality has been great streaming directly to the nvidia shield. there was lag on chromecast. no lag on pc.

so it seems if you had a firestick, itd probably lag like the chromecast. meaning you need a little more horsepower to stream it effectively, like the firetv or roku. i may get me another roku and pay for 3 months upfront to cash in on their offer.

5. bhelmLSU

Roku 4 still pissing me off...Roku 3 if you decide to go that route.

6. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

NFL Sunday Ticket now has the Android app on FireTV. It's glorious.

Don't forget you can use your SlingTV credentials to log into the Watch ESPN app.

You're welcome.

I own both Roku sticks and boxes. I personally don't how Roku is still in business. Their big claim to fame is the ridiculous number of channels they offer, but you're not going to care about 99% of them. Anything you actually want to watch on the Roku the FireTV will also have or will have very soon. The remote and layout for the Roku just seems clunky and doesn't respond as quickly as the FireTV. Also, you will never have the option to use Kodi on the Roku. It's never going to happen. Zero chance. Nada. If you have a Roku, don't toss it. Use it until it breaks. It's not useless, but I would never recommend buying one over the FireTV. The Android platform just offers so much more in terms of flexibility

As for Sling vs. Vue, I like the options of Vue better but the family likes the interface of Sling better. Vue offers a DVR-like ability, the option of different profiles and multiple users. Sling only allows one user at a time, including using the outside access to apps like WatchESPN. Sling also got weird with their channel lineups. They do include the RedZone channel with their $5 sports package add-on. Vue charges like another $40 for the RedZone channel which seems dumb. Overall, SlingTV comes out cheaper even after you add the $5 sports add-on. After football season, I'll shut it off because most everyone watches what they want with Kodi.

MikeInLa and Cajun Sensation like this.
  7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Bottom line is we now have legitimate alternatives to the money grubbing $20 monthly box rental cable companies.

Watch for these companies to start giving away their boxes at no charge in the coming years, offering dvr control services and storage for free as well. They will be forced to.

8. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Even if it's not cheaper, I'd cut the cord for that reason alone. Eff 'em.

Cajun Sensation likes this.
  9. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

They'll have to gimmick it up somehow.

10. bhelmLSU

2 fairly big news items for cord-cutters today. At least expands some options for some that need more Live TV options.

Hulu adds live channels for ESPN, ABC, FOX, etc...

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/hulu-inks-disney-21st-century-fox-deals-internet-160820433.html

Roku recently made it much easier for app creators to make more customized and easy to use content and now they have added the capability to pause live over the air tv.

http://www.pcmag.com/news/349219/pause-live-tv-with-rokus-latest-update

tirk likes this.