Cutting the cord to cable tv, Sony Vue may be your answer

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by islstl, May 30, 2016.

1. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

I would love to cut the cable cord, but we get the Sudden Link basic cable package included in our rent so. The only thing I pay extra for is 75Mb internet and the sports channel package for a total of $45/mo. during football season, then drop it once the season is over.

2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

i ordered this: stream.to 20 bucks a month.

3. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

I don't have a Roku, but thus far I am enjoying the Fire TV 4k. FTV is best if you already use Amazon Prime.
    I am currently using Kodi as my media center and OTA tv app (one of my PCs acts as a tv and media server on the backend). Netflix, Sling, and Youtube all play perfectly... That accounts for about 95% of my viewing.

4. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

So, I should get the Roku 3 box for my main TV and the stick for my other tv? Is that how that works?

Also, does Roku 3 have CODI? Can I use Amazon Prime on Roku 3?

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

This thread
    [​IMG]

6. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I have Roku 3 on two of my tvs and a Roku 4 on another. The sticks are cheaper options with fewer features and capabilities. Roku 3 are probably less now but under $100 and Sticks are around $35.

I have $35 chromecast on each Tv as well but only use if can't watch something offered through Roku which isn't very often anymore given Roku has been adding more and more channels.

You can use Amazon Prime on all Roku and all other brand devices. Even some TVs like LG offer an App for Amazon Prime, PS4 has it, etc... There are even Roku Tvs out now.

No Kodi yet on Roku that I know of. Most but not all Amazon Fire devices have the ability to add Kodi. Kodi web page will tell you which products it works with.

Cajun Sensation likes this.
  7. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I'll confess that I'm an absolute dummy when it comes to alternatives to cable TV. I'm considering making the switch if I can handle it from a technical perspective. What are good stores to look at equipment & get advice. Radio Shack came to mind. TIA.

8. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Start here .

Then come back and read this thread. You don't have to go to a store. Just read up on it a little and order your hardware from the interwebs.

COTiger likes this.
  9. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

That was the hold up with my wife...that wasn't meant to be an insult. I swear.

Can buy a Roku or similar device from Best Buy, Office Depot, Walmart, etc... My wife who is a beginner to any and all tech stuff really liked the ease of the Roku. Just a bunch of apps on the TV screen with a remote and pick the channel you have access to like Netflix. Instead of doing it that way your phone, tablet or PC can act as the remote.

The shows you absolutely can't live without is where you want to start...you can provide a channel list here and I can look over it. Tom's guide is also a good resource for that. That will help you decide on which device or devices you need and also what content providers like Netflix, HBO etc...you need to sign up for and start paying for monthly.

COTiger likes this.
  10. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Kodi was banned from Amazon... Has to be side loaded now.