Crock Pot

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by red55, May 19, 2008.

1. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Never liked 'em (rice cookers). Tried them all. I'm back to cookin' rice like MawMaw did. Dump it in a huge pot of boiling water, some olive oil, and a little salt, and cook it until it's al dente.

2. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member

Coincidentally my wife has a meal cooking in a crock pot just as I read the thread. We visited relatives in Pennsylvania last summer and my wife's aunt cooked a chicken dish in a very large square crock pot. My wife adjusted the recipe for her smaller round one. I believe it's chicken breasts dumped into some cream of mushroom soup and something else then left alone. It was ridiculously good last summer, let's hope the wife's version measure's up. I'll find out in a few hours and let you know.

3. orlandotiger

orlandotiger GEAUX TIGERS!

It sounds like ti would be good, let us know and ask the wife for a few more details on what to put into it. Any veggies? Spices? How much chicken and soup... thanks!

1 person likes this.
  4. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

The real questions are;

1) Who is cooking in the crock pot this weekend?

2) When should I come over to sample??

5. orlandotiger

orlandotiger GEAUX TIGERS!

3) Can I catch a ride with you?

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

i bought a crock pot today, gonna make steel cut oatmeal in it, and maybe some sort of beef stew or something, if it is very, very simple. in fact if you know of some sort of meaty stew or something that takes less than 5 minutes to get into the pot, i would like to hear it.

7. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Put meat and veggies into pot. Cover it with water. Turn on low. Come back in 8 hours and cook some rice. Pour stew over rice and eat. That's pretty much the foolproof recipe and it is pretty awesome.

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

that is pretty much exactly what i am thinking. just like random meat and a carrot and an onion. seems like it could be pretty tasty and very easy and pretty healthy. probably gonna avoid rice on my new low carb 2012.

so with a crock pot you cant really mess it up? like for instance i could forget it and 14 hours later i would be ok with no fires or anything?

9. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

no fires, but it would be pretty dried up by then. 14 hours is a helluva long time though. We do 10 hours with no problems what so ever. Basically just adjust the amount of water. For a twist, throw some cream of mushroom or cream of celery soup in. Crock pots are for easy, not gourmet. Go with brown/wild rice and you would have good carbs, right?

eta: as to the fires, you could leave it pretty much forever and it wouldn't cause a fire, just turn your meat into jerky.

10. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Throw in a potato as well. Call me when its ready.