Crabs

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Bengal B, Jul 30, 2016.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

was just a joke on him and nootch bc im jealous of their seafood prowess. bob had some outdoors show in baton rouge long long ago my dad would let me stay up and watch on occasion. excuse my delivery.

2. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

Nah I just never heard of the guy. Guess our comparable guy here would be Wayne Monk. Prices prob just bc we a bunch of broke asses in MS pour crabber gotta sell his bounty for a measly 10 bucks no one can afford to pay any more

tirk likes this.
  3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Nah bc you can catch a bushel before sunset if you so desired.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Bob was known as The Old Beachcomber. His outdoors show on channel 9 was the longest running TV show in the country. When Bob turned 70, some of the employees of the station threw him a birthday party. The station had a mandatory retirement age of 65 so when management found out his true age they fired him.

5. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

I gotta work at it now though.
    I can't get out on the water near as much as I want.

plus thanks to storms and construction, my honey hole for crabs ain't all that anymore.
    as a teenager, we didn't even bring bait. just a net and could fill up a chest in about an hour.

don't fall in on wrong side of the dam, because you wouldn't stand a chance.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Is that dam near Montegut? I went there a couple of times with nets with long handles and we just scooped up the
    crabs by scraping the nets along the edge of the dam.

7. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

yep. less then 10 minute boat ride from my house.

that old dam was ridiculous. just stand on top facing the reserve side and you could see the crabs gathering.
    we'd go after school. run out there catch a few dozen, come home and be done boiling before dark. it was freaking amazing.

but one of the storm destroyed the old dam. so that hole stayed open for a few years, and the crabs left.
    there's a new dam there now. big enough to drive a dump truck across, but the crabs never came back.
    you can still catch a few, but nothing like then.

LSUTiga likes this.