Crabbing

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by LSUTiga, Jul 29, 2014.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Barely enough to boil. Lucky my uncle happened to call and ask if i was home yesterday afternoon. He brought me some 10-12 count skrimps. We have a lil barter going on too. I bring him lots of white perch and catifish and once or twice a year he has a connection and buys 100 lbs of jumbo's.

Bayou Tiger likes this.
  2. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I went to Grande Isle for the Tarpon rodeo last weekend. I tore up the shrimp in a little canal behind the camp I was staying in. I caught an ice chest of 60 count shrimp. I probably spent 30 of the 40 hours I was down there throwing the net to accomplish that. I was also quite drunk and every third throw didn't open. And i kept falling in the canal. I started with a 12 foot net, but as I am only 5'4 that gave me trouble. I switched to a six foot net and did much better.

I had to spend a lot of time picking little gaftop catfish out the net. Those little fuggers require close attention.

I also had some luck with the crab traps. I set them overnight each night I was there, and had a hamper of crabs the next morning.

KyleK and LSUTiga like this.
  3. LSUTiga

That sounds like a hoot of a time.

The shrimp I mentioned came from Grand Isle. The guy who picked them up caught something like 70 dozen crabs while there on a 3 day trip. He was with his wife and kids.

Bayou Tiger likes this.
  4. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Caught about 3 dozen at Rutherford one day last year. Heading back down there next weekend, and hope to repeat the haul.

We found a great spot, and I was pulling those bastids up 2, sometimes 3 at a time.

5. LSUTiga

I'd forgotten about that place.

Bayou Tiger likes this.
  6. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I'm relying on my very shaky memory. Where did you go? Big Lake?

7. LSUTiga

Hog Island Gully and West Cove. It's on the Hwy south of Sulphur, through Hackberry and into Sabine reserve. About 10 miles from Holy Beach.

Bayou Tiger likes this.
  8. COTiger

Gotcha. I've got a general idea of the area. Would probably still need GPS to get me there. :D

9. LSUTiga

Nah, it's so idiot proof that even a country bumpkin like me can't get lost. It's ONE road through the marsh.

Bayou Tiger likes this.
  10. COTiger

But, it's been 50 years since I've been in that zip code. I'm not sure there was a road back then. :)