Could Nebraska AD be pulling a SW with Kiffin?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CagedTiger, Nov 22, 2022.

1. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

I received a phone call from a buddy of mine that stated he heard there is mutual interest between Kiffin and Nebraska. He reminded me that this situation is looking like a SW setup where everyone is throwing names out there and it ends up being someone no one was talking about. My buddy stated it's not a done deal, but those behind the scenes are definitely talking and it makes sense.

Unbeknownst to me, I didn't realize that Kiffin grew up in Nebraska and his father was a member of the Nebraska staff for several years. Secondly, Nebraska has the seventh largest athletic fund in the country and has the money to pay Kiffin a huge guaranteed salary. Thirdly, Kiffin has good recruiting grounds with Texas, Oklahoma and California not far way. Lastly, Nebraska instantly becomes the big fish in Big Ten West Division and has a much easier route to the conference championship every year and the CFP. Staying at Ole Miss or going to Auburn, he still has to go through Alabama, LSU, Tennessee and Georgia, which we all know is murderers' row.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but I do believe there is mutual interest. It's going to be very interesting to see how this all plays out!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
    lsu-i-like likes this.
  2. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

What is this nonsense? Incomplete sentences in title and post.

shane0911 likes this.
  3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

This is the most alarming development I've heard since

furduknfish and mancha like this.
  4. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

pretty sure this ranks as

5. kcal

kcal Founding Member

one of the most

6. mctiger

@CagedTiger OK, now that we have an entire thought to work with :D....I have no idea how valid the info is, but I do think in the long run, Nebraska has the potential to be a much more advantageous situation than Ole Miss, or even Auburn. Younger members of the group may not remember that Nebraska of the 70's or 80's was like present day Ohio State, always in the mix for the national championship. They've made some bad hires over the decades, but it wouldn't be surprising to hear that there are boosters out there that are fed up and willing to shell out some bucks for a coach that can get them back in contention.

HalloweenRun likes this.
  7. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

Similar to Auburn, some of their bad hires were due to delusional boosters. I seriously doubt that they will return any time soon to a national contender as they were during the Tom Osborne days.

LSUTiga likes this.
  8. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Nebraska was great because Bob Devanney and Tom Osborne developed a system that fit the times and Nebraska to aT. They stockpiled local farm boys and put them through intensive weight training and had four years to develop them into top quality lines. At that time many Nebraska high schools played 7 man football. These linemen had to be taught from scratch. They them hit NewJersey, Louisiana, Texas and other state for skill players
    Having players for 4-5 years allowed them time to build the best. Osborne also used the option offense well.
    The development of early entry into the NFL, rules changes that emphasize passing and more competition in recruiting killed that system. Nebraska doesn’t have the recruiting base to reach the same levels of success today.
    It was a unique environment and I don’t think Nebraska can repeat it again.

Herb, LSUTiga, mctiger and 3 others like this.
  9. mctiger

Maybe not, but some people think any problem can be solved if you throw enough money at it.

Winston1 and 65Grad like this.
  10. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

That would be a great hire for them… except curious how his attitude would rub midwesterners.