Cortana Mall History

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LSUBayouBengal, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Spaceport.

Chess King was a good one. I got some cool clothes there in the 90s.

I agree that it is a depressing sight nowadays. I remember being drug around by my mom for hours and hours as she did her shopping when I was a kid. Holy shit, it was the most painful thing to endure. Boooooring. But I also have plenty of fond memories. For example, I remember swiping Pink Floyd's "Pulse" when I was in one of the record stores (Sound Warehouse, maybe) one summer day in high school (circa '95). I was baked out of my mind, and this CD was just chilling on the shelf, with none of the protective/anti-theft packaging. I stuck it in my gym shorts, browsed for a few more minutes, and then split. Tripped out to it many a night that summer.

I live in Broadmoor, so I go there if I know I can find something that I'm looking for (but that's difficult as most of the apparel stores are understandably marketed towards black guys). If I have the time & patience, I'll go to the Dillard's clearance center and score some decent threads for next to nothing. But it takes a good bit of work to sift through everything. I got 3 $50 swimsuits for $12 each over the summer. I can find a few good dress shirts too if I look hard enough. I once got 4 for like $9 each. There's also a kick-ass soul food joint at one end of it (can't remember the name of it).

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
    LSUBayouBengal likes this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The carried a lot of merchandise that wasn't drug related. Lots of off the wall novelty items like you see on the As Seen on TV infomercials. Somehow at a young age I got on the Spencer Catalog mailing list even though I had never bought anything from them. I liked going through the catalog and looking at all the stuff. It was good reading for when I was, uh, sitting on my throne

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Do you lead a life of crime now? One time my mother, who wouldn't even steal a grape to sample in the grocery store (like I do all the time) was in Dillards or DH Holmes or one of those big department stores. She had tried on a dress and was standing near the door and big glass window when she saw a friend of hers outside the store waving at her. My Mom stepped outside to briefly say hello to her friend and the store detective went outside and accused her of stealing the dress. They took her to a room in the store and held her until my Dad went down there a "reasoned" with them

4. Contained Chaos

I don't know. Do you consider engineering a crime?

I remember once seeing the cops chasing a shoplifter through Mervyn's. They caught up to him right as he hit the door. Dude ran so close to us that I could feel the draft.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Pulse is awesome stoned.

6. Contained Chaos

Shit yeah. At the time, I hadn't even really been smoking that long. Maybe a year or so, and certainly not daily. I mean I literally would trip out to that album. I wish weed still affected me like that. :confused:

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Are you talking about Steel Pulse or some other band named Pulse? I had never heard of Steel Pulse when I went to a concert on the riverboat President in New Orleans. Stevie Ray Vaughn and Albert King were the featured artists but Steel Pulse was the opening band. Before the show started me and my buddy went up to the third floor of the boat and found a quiet dark spot to burn a doob. There was this guy in the shadows nearby smoking one too. He had a hoodie on so I couldn't see his hair. We start talking to him and he shared his spliff with us. Awesome stuff. The guy had a pretty thick Jamaican accent.

About a half hour later the band Steel Pulse started playing but without the lead singer. They played only instumental for about 10 minutes and then the guy we had met upstairs got onstage and starting singing. After the first song he took the hoodie off and this guy had dreads that looked like a huge shock of wheat piled way high up his head and cascading down to well below his shoulders.

8. Contained Chaos

Jesus, man. The answer to your question is literally in the part of my post that you quoted earlier.

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Pink Floyd Pulse

10. Tuna

Tuna Freshman

Have a question to those who might remember Cortana late 70's/Early 80's....There was a Bakery place in there...what was it called...my parents would drive from New Orleans just to go there....think it was called Winston's? Any help would give peace of mind :D