Cortana Mall History

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LSUBayouBengal, Oct 9, 2014.

1. LSUBayouBengal

LSUBayouBengal 3rd Gen LSU Grad

Been having nostalgia for the old Cortana the last few days. I went there today and its just sad. I know a new company owns it, hopefully things can pick back up but I wont hold my breath. Many great memories there over the years. My question is what original tenants (stores) can you remember that used to be there in the late 70's? Aside from the big box stores I only remember a few such as Isis Jewelry, Sizzler, Pets, Pets and Pets, Mama Brava, the Corn Dog place and the Arcade.

LSUTiga likes this.
  2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Spencer's was my fave at Cortana as a kid, wasn't Godchaux's there too?

LSUBayouBengal likes this.
  3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Cortana has been dead since the Mall of Louisiana opened up. The affluent neighborhoods have migrated south and taken their money with them. It will soon go the way of the Bon Marche Mall.

4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I, too, have many fond memories of Cortana Mall. I went there all of the time as a kid and even into adulthood (I moved from Baton Rouge to Dallas in '97--so before the Mall of Louisiana opened.)

The Corn Dog place was awesome. In the 70's, there was also Toys by Roy over by Sears. The movie theater; there was a burger joint called Judy's, Judy's, Judy's across from it. Who can forget the Piccadilly with the riverboat theme? Wasn't there a Larry K. Sullivan's across from it in the 70's? There was an ice cream place near there, too.

I was in the mall one Saturday night in 1982 when there was a "sniper" lose in the mall (I think it ended up being a domestic violence issue near the Piccadilly.) I was in 7th grade, and my parents I ended up in lockdown in the back of a shoe store that closed its gate (as if that would keep a bullet out? That was actually pretty scary.

I bought both of my prom dresses in high school at Godchaux's, shopped at The Limited all of the time in college, and played many a game of pinball at Spaceport in elementary and middle school.

The Cat Man and LSUBayouBengal like this.
  5. red55

I mostly went to Cortana for two reasons-- Sears was there and I use Craftsman tools a lot and Waldenbooks was there. Before the big box bookstores and Amazon put small bookstores out of business, it was the biggest bookstore in town. Other than eating at Piccadilly, I mostly just walked past the trendy stores, overpriced fast food, and that weird place that cut peoples hair behind plate glass windows.

I can remember when the property was where the Baton Rouge State Fair was held. I drove with friends from north Louisiana to see The Association play there in 1972. Okie would have loved it. We sat on hay bales and ate corn dogs while listening to music.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I hate going to malls but when I did have to go to Cortana I enjoyed eating at the Picadilly. Thats when the Picadilly food was still good

7. LSUBayouBengal

LSUBayouBengal 3rd Gen LSU Grad

Wow, I dont remember the movie theater. LOVED the Piccadilly riverboat theme though! I never understood why they did away with that. Piccadilly finally closed last year. Crazy sniper story! And forgot about the Spencers too, that and the arcade where kind of the teen hang-outs.

Bengal B likes this.
  8. red55

So, did you buy a black light or a lava lamp?

Bengal B and LSUBayouBengal like this.
  9. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

Black light for me and a couple of posters to go with it. My kids have the lava lamp now as I guess they are back in fashion.

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

This was pre weed, I thought all that stuff was awesome though my mom would never buy me anything from there.