Cookbook recommendation...

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by locoguano, May 12, 2008.

1. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i couldnt stand it. i had to order a couple of new books for my collection. just as good eats gives me cravings, it fueled my collecting! this forum is gonna make me fat and poor. :hihi:

i ordered:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I hope you got free shipping. Those first two weigh about a hundred pounds.

My Moms church made up a cookbook and she got me one, of course. Good country recipes, mostly. Nothin' trendy or fancy.

3. OkieTigerTK

yep, free shipping. i should have them monday.

i love those small church and community cookbooks. i have a lot of em. those church ladies do know how to cook. and the extension homemaker cookbooks. just good country cookin.

when i got married, my grandmother's friends gave me a "recipe shower". they got a nice little recipe box, wrote down a few of their best/favorite recipes on cards for it, and gave it to me along with a luncheon showcasing those recipes. most of those dear ladies (along with my grandmother) are long gone from us. and every time i go through that recipe box and see one of those recipes, it makes me smile.

4. red55

OK, here's your bonus. My aunt's squash casserole recipe.

SQUASH CASSEROLE

2 cups cooked squash (can be yellow or zuchinni mixed)
    1/2 oz. pimentos chopped
    1 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup cream of chicken soup
    1 package herb stuffing mix
    2 T butter or margerine
    Salt & pepper

Cook squash until tender, drain. Mix squash, pimento, sour cream, and undiluted soup. In a separate bowl mix herb stuffing mix and butter. Line baking dish with half of herb mixture. Pour squash mixture over herb mixture and top with remaining herb mixture. Salt and Pepper to taste. Bake at 350 F for 30-40 minutes. Makes four servings.

5. OkieTigerTK

you are a sweetheart!

i may have to go buy squash to make it since it will be a while before my squash plants produce. (they were planted way late.)

i already have it printed to save to my recipe box!:thumb:

6. OkieTigerTK

hey red, my dad brought me a big mess of squash (both yellow and zucchini) from his garden yesterday. i am off to the store in a while to get some things i need to make your aunts squash casserole. im anxious to try the recipe. the squash at the store never looked that good so ive been waiting for dads garden to produce.

i will be having squash for a few nights. between the sack he brought me and that my yellow squash plants are producing, there is no lack of squash in my house. (even tho squash vine borers destroyed my zucchini plants.)

7. red55

I gave the same recipe to my office friend who has a big garden. She made it and liked it so much she has done it twice since then and even brought some into the office. It's best when that breading is crispy, but it was tasty even when nuked. She's already working a on variation with two cheeses in it.

8. OkieTigerTK

red, the recipe for the squash casserole was delish! i drained my squash a bit too much (i have a habit of reallllly draining squash cause i dont care for it watery) but the recipe itself is wonderful! it is a permanent addition to my recipe collection.

i can see shredded swiss cheese added to the squash part of it. and maybe some grated or shredded parmesan to the stuffing portion. let me know what your friend comes up with!

if anyone wants to make squash casserole, this recipe is worth trying.

thanks again for sharing it!

9. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

I use my Weber charcoal grill primarily to slow cook meets. My family gave me the Weber cookbook: Here is a link to the recipe for baby back ribs that I have used time and again:

http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/recipe/view.aspx?c=pork&r=159

I season with Tony's before putting them on the grill. Be absolutely sure to use indirect heat or you will dry the ribs out. Don't baste the ribs until they have cooked for about one half hour. Remove the thin membrane on the underside of the ribs before you season them. This will allowthe seasoning and baste to get into the meat on that side. Bon appetite!

10. orlandotiger

orlandotiger GEAUX TIGERS!

Got this about a week ago! It is great! I am about 1/4 of the way through it and did the oven baked fried chicken for dinner tonight and it was great! Looking forward to really getting into it!

1 person likes this.