Continuous Process Improvement in QB Recruiting

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by HalloweenRun, Jan 17, 2016.

1. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Perhaps it is my background in statistical process control and continuous process improvement, but I have to wonder if we are applying some very basic management tools in our quest for a viable quarterback.

I don’t know if the NCAA permits it, but after a kid has signed anywhere else, is it possible for, say a representative from LSU, to visit the kid, and try to find out why he did not choose LSU? Say, in his coach’s office with coaches and/or parents present. Non-threatening, simply seeking feedback.

All good processes have a feedback loop, integral to the process. Is such a loop in the LSU QB recruitment process? We need to know WHY, LSU was not chosen. Period.

Perhaps the psych department could ascertain the profile of the right person to ask the questions. You would not want some overbearing coach, but perhaps a smarmy, non-threatening petite, female.

This feedback loop should apply to not just the top QB’s, but anyone of potential value.

I cannot believe that introducing some feedback into the loop would not improve the process. In fact I am sure it would. If such a process would yield just one QB of substance, the ROI would be huge.

Of course, if we received feedback we would have to be willing to incorporate it into our process. Perhaps that could be an obstacle. I dunno.

I only “hask” that we get Haskins, but regardless, our process for landing a real QB could really use some improvement.

kluke likes this.
  2. kluke

kluke Founding Member

Can't make a substantive response now but wanted to say there is a lot to like about this idea. A key is that we have to be willing to use the data to drive behavioral change or it just additional waste.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Do you think it's really about the guys we get? It could be, for sure. We could just be getting scrubs. I just find it hard to believe Harris would be this shitty if he played for Auburn or Oregon.

tirk and rockwallfan like this.
  4. rockwallfan

rockwallfan Founding Member

or tcu or baylor? ccc has the pedigree, but he hasn't done shit to develop the quarterbacks we recruit. how come briles and patterson seem to just plug in the next qb without skipping a beat?

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Why recruit a zone read quarterback when you don't run zone read? Les Miles is like that crazy bitch you dated in your 20's who thinks she can change you. Oh I'm gonna change him, watch. Yeah bitch how'd that go?

rockwallfan and ParadiseiNC like this.
  6. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Doesn't really matter, install a real offense and show some ability to develop a QB and they will come. You greatly limit your pool of interested QBs when you run a Fred Flintstone offense and your QBs show little to no progress each year.

rockwallfan likes this.
  7. TwistedTiger

Or many other teams. Oklahoma starts a walk on who lights it up. TCU and Baylor march out their 2nd and third string QBs and their offense clicks. Clemson with a true sophomore first year starter plays for the NC with a dynamic offense. It's not the QBs that's the problem with the LSU offense.

rockwallfan likes this.
  8. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Taking an actual visit to kids who didn't choose a school would be somewhat cost prohibitive when you consider the minimal yield of data and it would take eons to gather enough data points to draw even directional information.

How many kids listed LSU simply to boost their own value? How many were really looking at LSU vs LSU looking at them? I think it might be better to focus in on those who took actual official visits. I think you could eliminate the in-person interview because that is a bit stalkerish. And in lots of cases I don't think it's necessarily that a candidate did NOT pick LSU, but rather they picked somewhere else....if that makes sense.

The top 5 reasons that a QB picks a college are probably somewhat definable as are the top 4 or 5 reasons they didn't go somewhere. A short post-signing day survey might get you more data and faster.

Lastly, I suppose you have to look at it the same as you would calling a PI....is the ball catchable? In other words, is the information you get anything that you can improve? If it's something like the food, then yes. But if it's something like location, weather, or "general feeling", then no. It seems that despite what lots of kids say about academics, etc, so much of their decision is based on how they "felt" when they visited.

Brian likes this.
  9. TwistedTiger

I'll make it easy and cheap for everyone concerned. They didn't sign with LSU because the coaching staff doesn't have a clue what a passing game is or how to develop and use a QB.

rockwallfan and HalloweenRun like this.
  10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

You guys should probably visit some LSU practices to see why we don't develop our passing game. You'd be amazed as to the attention to detail and the overwhelming majority of time spent on the running game. It's an easy answer. Leslie don't give a fuck about throwing the ball.